Cate Blanchett to Star in HBO's 'Cancer Vixen'
Cate Blanchett is set to develop a feature film, based on The New Yorker cartoonist Marisa Acocella Marchetto's "Cancer Vixen: A True Story", for HBO. The 43-year-old actress is set to star as the protagonist and to executive produce the project alongside Trudie Styler and Celine Rattray.
Styler and Rattray, who established Maven Pictures together in 2011, are meeting with writers to adapt the material. If the project moves forward, it will be listed as another high-profile film for HBO, which has produced awards-season favorites, such as "Game Change", "Too Big to Fail", "Cinema Verite", "The Pacific" and "Temple Grandin".
The best-selling memoir tells the true story of Marisa Acocella Marchetto, "a shoe-crazy, lipstick-obsessed, wine-swilling, pasta-slurping, fashion-fanatic, about-to-get-married big-city girl cartoonist with a fabulous life" who discovers she has breast cancer and spends 11 months to battle against it while reevaluating her glamorous Manhattan life, her work, and her upcoming marriage with Silvano. Released in September 2006, the book has garnered positive reviews. The memoir was voted as Slate.com's medical book of the year and one of Time.com's top ten graphic novels of the year in 2006.
The project has reportedly been put on the fast track following Blanchett's involvement. The award-winning actress is currently working on her latest film project, "The Monuments Men", under the direction of George Clooney.
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic