Cate Blanchett to Star in HBO's 'Cancer Vixen'
Cate Blanchett is set to develop a feature film, based on The New Yorker cartoonist Marisa Acocella Marchetto's "Cancer Vixen: A True Story", for HBO. The 43-year-old actress is set to star as the protagonist and to executive produce the project alongside Trudie Styler and Celine Rattray.
Styler and Rattray, who established Maven Pictures together in 2011, are meeting with writers to adapt the material. If the project moves forward, it will be listed as another high-profile film for HBO, which has produced awards-season favorites, such as "Game Change", "Too Big to Fail", "Cinema Verite", "The Pacific" and "Temple Grandin".
The best-selling memoir tells the true story of Marisa Acocella Marchetto, "a shoe-crazy, lipstick-obsessed, wine-swilling, pasta-slurping, fashion-fanatic, about-to-get-married big-city girl cartoonist with a fabulous life" who discovers she has breast cancer and spends 11 months to battle against it while reevaluating her glamorous Manhattan life, her work, and her upcoming marriage with Silvano. Released in September 2006, the book has garnered positive reviews. The memoir was voted as Slate.com's medical book of the year and one of Time.com's top ten graphic novels of the year in 2006.
The project has reportedly been put on the fast track following Blanchett's involvement. The award-winning actress is currently working on her latest film project, "The Monuments Men", under the direction of George Clooney.
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance Lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle