Iran Plans to Sue 'Argo' Filmmakers Over 'Unrealistic Portrayal'
Amidst the so many praises it has received, "Argo" has been blasted by people in several countries, including Canada and Iran. Moving forward with their claim, Iranians now plan to sue filmmakers behind the Oscar's Best Picture due to "unrealistic portrayal" of the country.
According to several local news outlets (via the Associated Press), French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre is in Iran for talks with officials over how and where to file the lawsuit. Coutant-Peyre has represented convicted terrorists Zacarias Moussaoui and Ilich Ramirez Sanchez a.k.a. Carlos the Jackal.
Though it's not explained why the movie was deemed unrealistic, Iranian officials have accused "Argo" of depicting people in the country as "too violent." Moreover, they alleged the Ben Affleck-directed pic is a "violation of international cultural norms."
"Argo" itself isn't playing in any Iranian theaters, but many Iranians have seen it on bootleg DVDs. On Monday, March 11, a group of Iranian cultural officials and movie critics held a closed screening of the film in a Tehran theater. After the gathering, the officials came up with the decision to sue.
The committee said, "Awarding an anti-Iran movie is a propaganda attack against our nation and entire humanity," in reaction to the movie's Best Picture win at Oscars.
Warner Bros. Pictures, which produced the movie, has not commented on any potential lawsuit.
"Argo" chronicles the life-or-death covert operation to rescue six Americans, which unfolded behind the scenes of the Iran hostage crisis-the truth of which was unknown by the public for decades. A CIA "exfiltration" specialist named Tony Mendez, played by Affleck, comes up with a risky plan to get them safely out of the country.
More Argo News
- So Cute! Liam Payne Shares Rare Photo of Him and Son Bear in Matching Yeezy Trainers
- Donald Trump Stops a Call With the Irish PM to Compliment Female Reporter's 'Nice Smile'
- Kristen Wiig Joins Jimmy Fallon in Funny Doctor Skit of New Mad Lib Theater
- Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Finds Its Drummer in 'X-Men' Actor Ben Hardy
- Kris Jenner and David Foster Reportedly Have a Dinner Date
- Chrissy Teigen Accidentally Flashes Bare Boob When Dancing With John Legend During His Concert
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway