Iran Plans to Sue 'Argo' Filmmakers Over 'Unrealistic Portrayal'
Amidst the so many praises it has received, "Argo" has been blasted by people in several countries, including Canada and Iran. Moving forward with their claim, Iranians now plan to sue filmmakers behind the Oscar's Best Picture due to "unrealistic portrayal" of the country.
According to several local news outlets (via the Associated Press), French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre is in Iran for talks with officials over how and where to file the lawsuit. Coutant-Peyre has represented convicted terrorists Zacarias Moussaoui and Ilich Ramirez Sanchez a.k.a. Carlos the Jackal.
Though it's not explained why the movie was deemed unrealistic, Iranian officials have accused "Argo" of depicting people in the country as "too violent." Moreover, they alleged the Ben Affleck-directed pic is a "violation of international cultural norms."
"Argo" itself isn't playing in any Iranian theaters, but many Iranians have seen it on bootleg DVDs. On Monday, March 11, a group of Iranian cultural officials and movie critics held a closed screening of the film in a Tehran theater. After the gathering, the officials came up with the decision to sue.
The committee said, "Awarding an anti-Iran movie is a propaganda attack against our nation and entire humanity," in reaction to the movie's Best Picture win at Oscars.
Warner Bros. Pictures, which produced the movie, has not commented on any potential lawsuit.
"Argo" chronicles the life-or-death covert operation to rescue six Americans, which unfolded behind the scenes of the Iran hostage crisis-the truth of which was unknown by the public for decades. A CIA "exfiltration" specialist named Tony Mendez, played by Affleck, comes up with a risky plan to get them safely out of the country.
More Argo News
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC
- Kiersey Clemons Confirmed to Star as Iris West in 'The Flash' Movie
- Mariah Carey's Fiance James Packer Grabs Her Boob While Partying in Italy
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years