Emma Watson No Longer Attached to Play Cinderella
Emma Watson won't be playing Cinderella in Disney's new take on the classic fairytale after all, Variety reports. While the Hermione Granger of "Harry Potter" movie franchise is no longer attached to star in the upcoming live-action movie, Cate Blanchett is still on board to portray the evil stepmother.
Gabriella Wilde ("The Three Musketeers") and Alicia Vikander ("Anna Karenina"), along with Saoirse Ronan, Cate's on-screen foe in "Hanna", were once linked to play the Disney princess, but scheduling conflicts and other considerations prevented them from signing the deal.
The Mouse House hopes to begin production sometime this fall and release the film in 2014. Kenneth Branagh takes over the directing seat from Mark Romanek.
Although Watson exits the Cinderella movie, there's still hope to see her playing a fairytale character in another fantasy movie as she's set to bring the famous Belle to life in Guillermo del Toro's reimagining of "Beauty and the Beast" at Warner Bros.
A rival project to bring Beauty and her Beast to life is developed by Disney, hot on heels of the studio's massive success with "Oz: The Great and Powerful". Joe Ahearne, who penned Danny Boyle-directed thriller "Trance", is in talks to write the script.
More Cinderella News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story