Judge Judy Sued Over Expensive Christofle Tableware
Judge Judy is hit with a lawsuit that involves a divorce case of her show's producer, Randy Douthit, and a half million dollars worth of Christofle tableware. Douthit's estranged wife, Patrice Jones, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles on March 12, claiming Judy and Douthit entered into a fraudulent scheme to prevent Jones from obtaining the crockery in the divorce.
According to the suit, the sharp jurist, whose real name is Judy Sheindlin, only paid $50,815 for $514,421 worth of Christofle china and flatware. The purchase was apparently without Jones' consent, and Judy already knew the deal was revenge against her, Jones claimed. "As a former family law judge, she knew that California is a (community property) state and that a spouse cannot sell community property without the written consent of both spouses and certainly not at 10 cents on the dollar," Jones' lawyer, Perry Wander, said.
The lawsuit stated that "Sheindlin was not a bona fide purchaser for value" and "Sheindlin was willful and intended to cause injury to the plaintiff." In the suit, Jones also claimed that Douthit agreed to reduce his profit participation in the "Judge Judy" show so that he would avoid giving much money in the divorce settlement.
Commenting on the lawsuit, the 70-year-old TV personality said, "I have not seen any complaint by the former Mrs. Douthit, however, I don't owe this lady a cent. And if this 50-year-old woman would spend her time more productively at trying to find a job, instead of abusing the judicial system with frivolous lawsuits, we would all be a lot better off."
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show