'The Great Gatsby' Picked as 2013 Cannes Film Festival Opener
"The Great Gatsby" is set to open the 66th edition of Cannes Film Festival. Organizers said early Tuesday, March 12 local time that the romantic drama movie would screen in 3D on May 15 at the Grand Theatre Lumiere of the Palais des Festivals, out of competition as part of the Official Selection.
"It is a great honor for all those who have worked on 'The Great Gatsby' to open the Cannes Film Festival," said director Baz Luhrmann in a statement. "We are thrilled to return to a country, place and festival that has always been so close to our hearts."
He continued, "...not only because my first film, Strictly Ballroom, was screened there 21 years ago, but also because F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote some of the most poignant and beautiful passages of his extraordinary novel just a short distance away at a villa outside St. Raphael."
This year's Cannes Film Festival will run May 15-26. Academy Award-wining director Steven Spielberg has been chosen as the jury president of the famous annual festival.
"The Great Gatsby" is adapted from F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel of the same name. Set in 1992's New York City, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings, it stars Tobey Maguire as would-be writer Nick Carraway who chases his own American Dream.
Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy (Carey Mulligan), and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits.
The movie was filmed in Australia and has been pushed back from its original December 25, 2012 release date to May 10. Jay-Z, who scored the movie, is set to attend the movie premiere at Cannes, organizers said.
- Kim Kardashian Says Goodbye to Barack Obama's Presidency With Throwback Pics
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?