Sam Raimi Has No Plans on Directing 'Oz' Sequel, Story Won't Involve Dorothy
While all main cast of "Oz: The Great and Powerful" will likely return to the sequel, Sam Raimi shows no interest in doing the second film. To Bleeding Cool, the director says, "I haven't planned on directing the sequel... I was attracted to this story but I don't think the second one would have the thing I would need to get me interested."
He, however, admits the end of "Oz" leaves a possibility for a sequel. "I did leave some loose ends for another director if they want to make the picture," he claims. "I tried to make it a complete ending, so that the audience would be fulfilled, but I also let Evenora and Theodora get away."
Disney has begun developing "Oz" sequel by tapping Mitchell Kapner to return as a scribe. Dishing on the story, producer Joe Roth tells Los Angeles Times that the sequel "would absolutely not" involve Dorothy, though it may feature a lot of L. Frank Baum's beloved characters.
Supporting Roth's statement, Kapner says the end of "Oz" is "20 years before Dorothy arrives." He coyly adds, "A lot can happen in that time."
"Oz: The Great and Powerful" follows James Franco's Oscar Diggs, a small-time circus magician who is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. There, he leads a battle to win back the throne of the Emerald City for the forces of good, but first he must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late.
The adventure, fantasy movie debuted atop box office after it was released on March 8. It raked in $79.1 million on its first weekend, marking the biggest opening of the year so far.
Mila Kunis once said she and her co-stars were "all signed on for sequels," as Rachel Weisz was up for the possible sequel, saying, "If there is one, I'd love to be in it." Michelle Williams, meanwhile, said she would love to return if Sam Raimi did so, "Wherever Sam goes, I'll go. I'd do anything Sam asks me to do. I'd get stuck in quicksand with him."
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March
- Sterling K. Brown May Join Shane Black's 'Predator'