Valerie Harper on Cancer Diagnosis: 'I'm Not Dying Until I Do'
After revealing to public that she has been diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer, Valerie Harper is set to appear on "Today" to talk about the support she's received and how she deals with her condition. In a pre-taped interview, she says that she refuses to say goodbye and is open to miracles.
"Incurable is a tough word," she tells host Savannah Guthrie. "A lot of people were calling 'can I come by the house?', 'are you in a wheel chair?', because they hear it as this death sentence. Which it may be. But I'm not dying until I do. I promise I won't."
"But I also feel so much better not hiding. And, and that's not to say that celebrities or anyone shouldn't stay private. Do you what you feel. But I'm saying it feels awful damn good to be open about it, face it and see what you can do. If you die, you're not a failure. You're just somebody who had cancer. And that's the outcome," adds the 73-year-old actress.
When Savannah asks her if she is ready to say goodbye, Valerie, who is famous for playing Rhoda Morgenstern on "Mary Tyler Moore Show", answers, "Oh no... What I'm saying is keep your consciousness, your thoughts open to infinite possibility and keep yourself open to miracles."
Valerie also comments on all the support she has received since going public with her cancer diagnosis, "It has been so warming and so comforting and... I feel the embrace. And I wanna tell them right back that I- that you're a part of the reason I did it. So you could hear the real deal from me."
Valerie publicly revealed that she was diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer on Wednesday, March 6. Doctors estimated she had about three months to live.
"Today" show featuring Valerie is scheduled to air on Monday, March 11 on NBC.
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' Shows 'Farewell Tour' in First Trailer
- Erin Andrews and Jarret Stoll Get Married in Sunset Ceremony
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London