'Oz: The Great and Powerful' Opens at No. 1 With $80.3 Million
"Oz: The Great and Powerful" makes a strong debut on the North American box office this weekend. The Disney fantasy adventure movie starring James Franco and Mila Kunis becomes one of the only two newcomers which break into the top 10, bowing at No. 1 with the biggest opening of the year so far.
The Sam Raimi-directed film easily nabs the first spot with a whopping $79.1 million, marking the highest debut since "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" soared to the top spot with $85.8 million last December. Meanwhile, the other debut "Dead Man Down" settles at No. 4 with only $5.3 million.
The movie made on a budget of over $200 million fares well with family audience, collecting $24.1 million on Friday, March 8 before rising 37% to $33 million on Saturday and ending the weekend on Sunday with $23.1 million. It's in its way to become one of the best sellers as it rakes in $70 M overseas, bringing a total of $150 M worldwide.
Coming second after the prequel to "The Wizard of Oz" is another fantasy adventure flick "Jack the Giant Slayer" directed by Bryan Singer on the budget of $189 million. Based on classic fairytales "Jack the Giant Killer" and "Jack and the Beanstalk", the former No. 1 slips one spot with additional $9.8 million after opening with $27.2 million at North American last week.
The rest of the movies occupying the top 10 barely could earn double digit millions this week. Melissa McCarthy's comedy "Identity Thief" sits at the third place with $6.3 million only. Rounding up the top five is crime drama "Snitch" starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. It collects $5.1 million in its third week of release.
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful" - $79.1 million.
- "Jack the Giant Slayer" - $9.8 million.
- "Identity Thief" - $6.3 million.
- "Dead Man Down" - $5.3 million.
- "Snitch" - $5.1 million.
- "21 and Over" - $5.1 million.
- "Safe Haven" - $3.8 million.
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $3.6 million.
- "Escape From Planet Earth" - $3.2 million.
- "The Last Exorcism Part II" - $3.2 million.
- 'Stranger Things': Here's What Upside Down Is According to the Child Actors
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Grab Breakfast Sans Kids Amid Rumor They Call Off Divorce
- Cheryl's Mom Fuels Rumors Singer Is Expecting a Child With Liam Payne
- Lionsgate Is Open for More 'Twilight' Sequels
- Cara Delevingne Nearly Topless in Ripped Top for Puma Campaign
- See Tom Brady Sunbathing Completely Naked During Vacation With Gisele Bundchen
- Everyone Is Excited to Meet Superman in New 'Supergirl' Season 2 Sneak Peeks
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch