'Oz: The Great and Powerful' Opens at No. 1 With $80.3 Million
"Oz: The Great and Powerful" makes a strong debut on the North American box office this weekend. The Disney fantasy adventure movie starring James Franco and Mila Kunis becomes one of the only two newcomers which break into the top 10, bowing at No. 1 with the biggest opening of the year so far.
The Sam Raimi-directed film easily nabs the first spot with a whopping $79.1 million, marking the highest debut since "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" soared to the top spot with $85.8 million last December. Meanwhile, the other debut "Dead Man Down" settles at No. 4 with only $5.3 million.
The movie made on a budget of over $200 million fares well with family audience, collecting $24.1 million on Friday, March 8 before rising 37% to $33 million on Saturday and ending the weekend on Sunday with $23.1 million. It's in its way to become one of the best sellers as it rakes in $70 M overseas, bringing a total of $150 M worldwide.
Coming second after the prequel to "The Wizard of Oz" is another fantasy adventure flick "Jack the Giant Slayer" directed by Bryan Singer on the budget of $189 million. Based on classic fairytales "Jack the Giant Killer" and "Jack and the Beanstalk", the former No. 1 slips one spot with additional $9.8 million after opening with $27.2 million at North American last week.
The rest of the movies occupying the top 10 barely could earn double digit millions this week. Melissa McCarthy's comedy "Identity Thief" sits at the third place with $6.3 million only. Rounding up the top five is crime drama "Snitch" starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. It collects $5.1 million in its third week of release.
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful" - $79.1 million.
- "Jack the Giant Slayer" - $9.8 million.
- "Identity Thief" - $6.3 million.
- "Dead Man Down" - $5.3 million.
- "Snitch" - $5.1 million.
- "21 and Over" - $5.1 million.
- "Safe Haven" - $3.8 million.
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $3.6 million.
- "Escape From Planet Earth" - $3.2 million.
- "The Last Exorcism Part II" - $3.2 million.
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says