D'Angelo, Elvis Costello and More Salute Prince in Carnegie Hall Tribute
Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter Prince was honored in an all-star concert "The Music of Prince", Thursday night, March 7 from the Carnegie Hall in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Although he was not personally there to witness the star-studded tribute, the celebrities who came to salute him performed their best as the concert was also a fund-raising show meant to benefit a number of charities for kids.
The show, of course, would not be a complete Prince tribute without "Purple Rain", which The Waterboys performed to kick off the concert. Prince's contemporary, Elvis Costello, dished out the unreleased "Moonbeam Levels", while folk guitarist Bhi Bhiman gave a rendition of Prince's hit song "When Doves Cry". Closing out the show was R'n'B crooner D'Angelo who sang "It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night" and "1999".
Comic acts also brought much humor and entertainment to the charity event. Chris Rock and Fred Armisen both did their spoken-word bits while comedienne Sandra Bernhard dedicated her interpretation of "Little Red Corvette" to the women who have gotten involved with the legendary rocker at certain points in his life - Apollonia, Vanity, and Sheila E.
Meanwhile, thanks to a mysterious Twitter account user under the name 3rdEyeGirl, Prince fans have been getting access to new Prince songs, many of which sound like demos and bootlegs. The songs, which include a remix of his 2012 single "Rock N Roll Love Affair", are all also posted on YouTube account under the same name.
More Prince News
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Nick Gets Surprise Visit From Ex Andi Dorfman After Hometown Dates
- Drake Gives a Birthday Shout Out to Rihanna During Concert
- She's 'Dying'! Cher Suffers From Mystery Illness
- Charlie Hunnam Is Facing His Destiny in 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword' Latest Epic Trailer
- Watch Lana Del Rey Fly to the Moon in 'Love' Music Video
- Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose Are Batman and Batgirl at Son's 4th Birthday Bash
- Back Together? Ellie Goulding Attends London Fashion Week Parties With Ex Dougie Poynter
- 'Supergirl' 2.14 Preview: Kara and Alex's Father Is Back