'The View' Rep on Elisabeth Hasselbeck Exit Rumors: She Has a Long-Term Contract
A day after Joy Behar announced her departure from "The View", it's reported that Elisabeth Hasselbeck might follow the same route. Quickly responding to the swirling rumors, a representative for the show says, "Elisabeth Hasselbeck is a valued member of The View and has a long-term contract."
Rumors of Hasselbeck's exit started to spread as a so-called insider told Us Weekly, "The viewers they polled all said she was too extreme and right wing. People did not watch the show because of Elisabeth. So they told her yesterday her contract would not be renewed." She was said to be leaving the talk show at the end of the current season.
Other sources told NY Daily News that Barbara Walters, the co-creator and original cast member of "The View", was considering stepping down as well. However, the veteran journalist and her rep refused to comment on the news.
Meanwhile, Behar and ABC had made it official that Behar would not return to the next season of "The View". Her contract will expire in August, the same month the show will wrap up its 16th season.
Explaining her reason to quit the talk show, Behar said, "It seemed like the right time. You reach a point when you say to yourself, 'Do I want to keep doing this?' There are other things on my plate I want to do - I've been writing a play, I've been neglecting my standup."
Behar and Walters are the only remaining original cast members of "The View". Hasselbeck, meanwhile, joined the show in 2003, following Lisa Ling's departure in 2002.
More The View News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences