Joy Behar on Her Exit From 'The View': 'It Seemed Like the Right Time'
Joy Behar is leaving "The View" at the end of the current season after 16 years on the show. Confirming the news, ABC says in a statement, "Joy Behar has been instrumental in the success of 'The View' from the very beginning. We wish her all the best in this next chapter, and are thrilled that we have her for the remainder of the season."
To Deadline, Behar reveals why she decided to quit the talk show. "It seemed like the right time," she says. "You reach a point when you say to yourself, 'Do I want to keep doing this?' There are other things on my plate I want to do - I've been writing a play, I've been neglecting my standup."
However, the 70-year-old actress and comedienne, who is also hosting "The Joy Behar Show" on HLN and "Joy Behar: Say Anything!" on Current TV, has no plan to leave talk show altogether. "I do like talk shows, I'm interested in talking to people," she admits. "I want to do an intelligent talk show where you have room to breath."
On reports that she has been meeting with CNN's new president Jeff Zucker, she coyly says that she indeed has had "a positive meeting" with Zucker and that "CNN would be great place" for her new show.
Behar has been on "The View" since it first aired in 1997, starting as a fourth co-host before she became a full-time co-host. She and Barbara Walters, who created the show, are the only remaining original cast members.
Behar's contract is up in August, the same time the show wraps up its 16th season.
- Calvin Harris Is Back on Social Media Following Car Accident, Posts Almost Naked Pic
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Welcome First Child
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope