Ten Years After's Alvin Lee Dies at 68
The world lost another talented musician. British rock guitarist and the founder of Ten Years After, Alvin Lee, passed away on Wednesday, March 6 at the age of 68. Announcement on his official site reads, "With great sadness we have to announce that Alvin unexpectedly passed away early this morning after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure."
The announcement which was signed by Lee's family members adds, "We have lost a wonderful, much loved father and companion. The world has lost a truly great and gifted musician."
Some musicians took to Twitter to express their sadness over Lee's passing. Blues artist Kenny Wayne Shepherd wrote, "Rest in Peace Alvin Lee. One of the greatest guitar players ever. We lost you too soon. Thanks for the music." In addition, Guns N' Roses' ex-guitarist Slash tweeted, "I just heard about Alvin Lee's passing. He was the 1st badass, super fast lead guitarist I remember hearing as a kid. legend. RIP."
On his website, Queen's member Brian May described Lee as "legendary and influential guitarist and very nice bloke. His speed and dexterity, in the days when I would go as a student to the Marquee Club to see Ten Years After, was scary and exciting. He was daring enough to play and sing close to his limit every time."
Alvin Lee was born in Nottingham, England in 1944. Lee began playing guitar since 13. He formed a group called the Jaybird when he was 15. The band gained popularity locally. The band stepped into stardom after changing the name to Ten Years After. A concert promoter took them to the U.S. for tour and the public loved their music.
Lee quit the band in 1975 and began solo career. The band reunited and split again several times before splitting for good in 1999. Lee's latest solo album "Still on the Road to Freedom" was released in 2012.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die