Howie Mandel Clarifies Mel B's Disgraceful Moment at 'AGT' Audition
Howie Mandel spoke out about new "America's Got Talent" judge Melanie Brown who got booed by the audience during the taping of season 8's first audition in New Orleans. He learned about the coverage of the former Spice Girl's unpleasant moment and spared his time to address the situation.
"Any one of us on this panel went into the business because we're willing to put ourselves out there to be accepted," the 57-year-old television host said. "You want the audience to love you, you want them to applaud for you, you want them to laugh at you. Then you take a job as a judge where you come to a local area, and, if for nothing else, the town is behind their local people. Someone comes on stage and says, 'We're from New Orleans!' And that's what happened to her."
Howie, who replaced David Hasselhoff in the fifth season of the reality talent contest, defended the British singer, saying, "All she said was, 'I generally don't like brass bands.' That's all she said. She was being honest, and it was going to head to a good critique of the act."
Despite harsh response from the audience, the "I Want You Back" singer seemed fine. "Because she's done the other shows before, it didn't throw her as much, but it made some news," said Howie.
On the first day of "AGT" auditions in New Orleans on March 4, 37-year-old Mel B, who replaced former judge Sharon Osbourne, got loudly booed by the audience after she did not compliment the performance of Lagniappe, a famous local band, by saying she's not a fan of brass music. It was not the first time she found herself in a humiliating moment. Back in June, when judging U.K.'s "The X Factor", Mel B was booed after she insulted an 81-year-old contestant by saying his performance made her want to "fall asleep."
Mel B joined Howie Mandel and Howard Stern alongside new judge Heidi Klum at the Monday's taping. Season 8 of "AGT" will premiere on Tuesday, May 28 on NBC.
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'