Geena Davis Criticizes Seth MacFarlane for 'We Saw Your Boobs' Song at Oscars
Geena Davis criticizes Seth MacFarlanes joke at the 2013 Academy Awards, saying that his routine at the event was disrespectful to women, especially those who were being honored. Davis stated that MacFarlane's routine overshadowed the win of "Brave", an animated movie about a skillful female archer.
Davis addressed MacFarlane's joke in front of the members of California Assembly in Sacramento. She was present as one of 11 Californian women who were honored for their achievement. Davis said, "It's a shame that that triumph was enveloped in an awards ceremony containing disrespect for women, but it helps illustrate how tone-deaf we can still be regarding the status of women." Davis commended "Brave" as a movie that set positive examples for girls.
The 1988 Academy Awards' Best Supporting Actress winner is the chairwoman of state Commission on the Status of Women and Girls. The commission is focused on areas of women and families in the military, in business, health and safety, education, and gender equality in the media.
On the same occasion, Davis said that they had a long way to create gender equality, especially toward young women. The actress quoted a female basketball star who once described playing basketball as her second nature, just like breathing. "Every girl in California should be able to pursue a dream that's as natural to her as breathing. We need to support them to make sure they have the messages and the tools to get there," Davis said.
Davis is not the only one who has slammed MacFarlane for his "boobs" song at Oscars. Last week, two female state politicians sent a letter to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, asking the Academy to condemn MacFarlane for degrading women.
At the February 24 ceremony, MacFarlane quipped about attractiveness of women, performed a song about boobs, and referenced several rape scenes with topless actresses. However, the Academy defended MacFarlane, saying that it was "creative freedom."
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen