Jesse L. Martin to Play Marvin Gaye, Replacing Lenny Kravitz in 'Sexual Healing'
Jesse L. Martin who was linked to be Marvin Gaye in a canceled movie project about the music maestro years ago lands the role after all. He is tapped to star in "Sexual Healing" which is directed by Julien Temple after the previous project never came to fruition.
Lenny Kravitz was initially asked to portray Gaye, but the role was left vacant after his casting was protested by Gaye's son. Marvin Gaye III said it was not Kravitz whom he complained about but the movie in general that he objected to.
"The producers and directors of this film are very wrong and shameful. [They're] trying to do a film about a low period in his life. They don't even know the whole story," he once said, threatening to take legal action to stop the production.
The film will take place in the early 1980s when Gaye was in Europe as he struggled with addictions and tried to revive his career with the help of his manager, Freddy Cousaert, played by Brendan Gleason. It reportedly will start filming across the pond later this month.
Julien Temple took the reins as a director in 2011 after the previous James Gandolfini-produced project didn't come to fruition. Temple is no stranger to making documentary movies about famous people. He has narrated stories about Luther Vandross, Culture Club and Whitney Houston.
Martin, though not a recording artist like Kravitz, has an extensive musical background. The Det. Ed Green on "Law & Order" once played Tom Collins on stage production "Rent" and reprised the role in the film version. He recently starred in music-driven movie "Joyful Noise". Aside from "Sexual Healing", he's also attached to music drama "Silent Rhythm".
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3