Michael Jackson Lawsuit Against AEG Live Concerning Dr. Conrad Murray Hiring Goes to Trial
Katherine Jackson is given a chance to prove her claim that AEG Live had negligently hired and supervised Dr. Conrad Murray when he served to care for Michael Jackson's health during the preparation of "This Is It" concert series. A trial is scheduled to start April 2.
The lawsuit was filed in September 2010. Besides accusing the concert promoter of negligence in hiring and supervising the former cardiologist, the mother believes the company was responsible for the doctor's conduct and breached its duty to properly care for the late star.
Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos dismissed all claims except for one count about the potential negligence in AEG Live's part for hiring Murray who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter after it's found that he provided the King of Pop with a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol.
In a Monday hearing, Katherine's lawyer Kevin Boyle blamed AEG Live for failing to properly investigate Murray before agreeing to pay him to care for MJ's physical well-being. The company should have known that the doctor's debt problems could create a serious conflict between his duty to treat the singer safely and his own financial issues.
Meanwhile, a lawyer for the promoter giant insisted Murray was not employed by the company. They're confident that the Jackson team would not be able to prove that the doctor was a danger to the "Thriller" hitmaker. Thus, they expect to win the case.
Jackson passed away at the age of 50 during the final preparation of his highly-anticipated London concerts. His death came before Murray could finalize his contract that would earn him $150,000 a month.
More Michael Jackson News
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism