Susan Boyle to Make Movie Debut in 'Christmas Candle' With Samantha Barks
Susan Boyle is extending her career to the big screen. The singing sensation who rose to stardom through "Britain's Got Talent" has committed to star in costume drama "The Christmas Candle" which is based on the Max Lucado-written novella about a tale of angels, candles and Christmas wishes.
Directed by John Stephenson, it also stars Samantha Barks ("Les Miserables"), Hans Matheson ("Clash of the Titans") and Lesley Manville ("Another Year"). They will share screen with the likes of Sylvester McCoy ("The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"), John Hannah ("The Mummy"), Barbara Flynn ("Miss Potter), and James Cosmo ("Game of Thrones").
"Everyone on set is a delight to work with, and it's a fantastic experience to be part of the team," Boyle says, adding that she "can't believe" she is signed on for the project. "I'm really enjoying getting dressed in the period costumes and stepping back in time, and although it's very cold filming on location, I'm wearing long johns under my bustle."
Barks is equally thrilled. Hot on heels of her "One Day More" performance at the 85th annual Oscars, she gushes, "Having just landed from the Academy Awards, I had an hour to unpack and repack and get to set. I'm very excited to be part of 'The Christmas Candle', and I'm loving every second."
"The Christmas Candle" sets its story in 1890 with the script provided by Eric Newman and Candace Lee. Filming will start this week on location in the U.K. and the Isle of Man. What characters Boyle and other cast members will be playing are still unclear.
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'