Anne Hathaway Apologizes to Valentino for Snubbing His Design for Prada at Oscars
Anne Hathaway admits she was supposed to wear a dress designed by her dear friend Valentino, instead of Prada, at the 85th annual Oscars. She's sorry for the snafu and explains she switched outfit at last minute after learning that another star donned a gown strikingly similar to the Valentino creation she intended to wear.
"It came to my attention late Saturday night that there would be a dress worn to the Oscars that is remarkably similar to the Valentino I had intended to wear, and so I decided it was best for all involved to change my plans," the "Les Miserables" actress explains her predicament in a statement released by her publicist Stephen Huvane.
"Though I love the dress I did wear, it was a difficult last-minute decision as I had so looked forward to wearing Valentino in honor of the deep and meaningful relationship I have enjoyed with the house and with Valentino himself. I deeply regret any disappointment caused," the actress continues as quoted by PEOPLE.
The celebrity guest Hathaway referred to was her "Les Mis" co-star Amanda Seyfried. The "Mamma Mia!" star made her way down the red carpet looking gorgeous in a custom Alexander McQueen gown. Highlighted with silver dragonfly embroidery, the halter-neck dress had short train and keyhole neckline.
Meanwhile, Hathaway was forced to ditch a high necked, taupe lace Valentino number that featured similar hue to the McQueen ensemble. The winner of Best Supporting Actress opted for a Prada light pink duchesse satin backless column gown which perky bust line caused a buzz on the internet and got its own Twitter account.
Before the Oscars kicked off, people had no doubt that Hathaway would be wearing Valentino's design because they have been close friends for a long time that he considered her his own daughter. Even the designer himself was so convinced she would show off his creation at the prestigious event that he sent out a press release to hype it up.
As to how Hathaway heard about Seyfried's outfit, WWD suggests she got tipped off by Jennifer Aniston who's also a client of Huvane. The former "Friends" star herself donned a strapless red ballgown by Valentino. She came hand-in-hand at the Academy Awards with her actor/screenwriter fiance Justin Theroux.
More Anne Hathaway News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip