Anne Hathaway Apologizes to Valentino for Snubbing His Design for Prada at Oscars
Anne Hathaway admits she was supposed to wear a dress designed by her dear friend Valentino, instead of Prada, at the 85th annual Oscars. She's sorry for the snafu and explains she switched outfit at last minute after learning that another star donned a gown strikingly similar to the Valentino creation she intended to wear.
"It came to my attention late Saturday night that there would be a dress worn to the Oscars that is remarkably similar to the Valentino I had intended to wear, and so I decided it was best for all involved to change my plans," the "Les Miserables" actress explains her predicament in a statement released by her publicist Stephen Huvane.
"Though I love the dress I did wear, it was a difficult last-minute decision as I had so looked forward to wearing Valentino in honor of the deep and meaningful relationship I have enjoyed with the house and with Valentino himself. I deeply regret any disappointment caused," the actress continues as quoted by PEOPLE.
The celebrity guest Hathaway referred to was her "Les Mis" co-star Amanda Seyfried. The "Mamma Mia!" star made her way down the red carpet looking gorgeous in a custom Alexander McQueen gown. Highlighted with silver dragonfly embroidery, the halter-neck dress had short train and keyhole neckline.
Meanwhile, Hathaway was forced to ditch a high necked, taupe lace Valentino number that featured similar hue to the McQueen ensemble. The winner of Best Supporting Actress opted for a Prada light pink duchesse satin backless column gown which perky bust line caused a buzz on the internet and got its own Twitter account.
Before the Oscars kicked off, people had no doubt that Hathaway would be wearing Valentino's design because they have been close friends for a long time that he considered her his own daughter. Even the designer himself was so convinced she would show off his creation at the prestigious event that he sent out a press release to hype it up.
As to how Hathaway heard about Seyfried's outfit, WWD suggests she got tipped off by Jennifer Aniston who's also a client of Huvane. The former "Friends" star herself donned a strapless red ballgown by Valentino. She came hand-in-hand at the Academy Awards with her actor/screenwriter fiance Justin Theroux.
More Anne Hathaway News
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...
- Check Out Details of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's 'Intimate' Dinner in Nashville