Seth MacFarlane: There's 'No Way' I Would Host the Oscars Again
Once is enough for Seth MacFarlane to host the Oscars. Having just done one of the most daunting hosting gigs in the world, the "Ted" helmer admits that he would never again take the opportunity to host the Academy Awards.
The comic genius who tackled the prestigious duty last Sunday, February 24 would say "no way" if he's offered the job again. "No way. Lotta fun to have done it, though," the 39-year-old "Family Guy" creator tweeted when a fan asked, "Would you host the #Oscars again if asked?"
MacFarlane's Oscars hosting stint was not free from criticisms. Some TV critics slammed him for making risky jokes about female nudity, zingers, gays and Jews. In the opening sketch, MacFarlane poked fun at himself by letting "Star Trek" actor William Shatner blast him for being "the worst Oscar host ever."
The latest group of people who criticized MacFarlane were a handful of top female lawmakers in the California Legislature, who said that the AMPAS "struck a new low in its treatment of women" by hiring the Kent-born actor as the host.
The group claimed that his jokes "reduced our finest female actresses to caricatures and stereotypes, degrading women as a whole and the filmmaking industry itself." They also said, "It is unacceptable for the entity that celebrates film-making and pop culture to have Seth MacFarlane deliver a misogynistic and degrading monologue against actresses who have shown courage in addressing thought-provoking and realistic life experiences on film."
They additionally urged the Academy to condemn MacFarlane's behavior and "commit to using better judgment in their future choices of content and hosts."
Despite all the criticisms, it was proven that MacFarlane successfully attracted younger audience for the 2013 Oscars telecast. An overall viewer ratings were also up, marking the biggest Oscar audience in three years.
According to social media research firm Fixxiology, he also created a major online chatter by dominating 13% of conversations on Facebook, Twitter and other blogs. A lot of social media users dubbed him "the best host ever."
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes