David Bowie's 'The Stars (Are Out Tonight)' Video Features Tilda Swinton
After releasing the first single "Where Are We Now" last month, iconic superstar David Bowie premieres the music video of "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)", the second track off his new album "The Next Day". Set to be released on March 12, "The Next Day" is his first album since his 2003 studio recording "Reality" and will be Bowie's 30th career album.
Directed by avante-garde filmmaker Floria Sigismondi and shot by acclaimed cinematographer Jeff Cronenweth, the almost six-minute clip stars Bowie and actress Tilda Swinton as a happily married couple. Their quiet domestic life gets disturbed by a celebrity couple, portrayed by models Andrej Pejic and Saskia De Brauw, who intrudes their domestic bliss in an 'aliens'-like manner.
Despite his mature age, Bowie looks dashing as ever as Swinton's husband, who in the clip plays an androgynous version of the flamboyant rocker. He and his wife's quiet existence is turned upside down by the high-fashion and sexualized celebrity couple who eventually ends up swapping places with Bowie and Swinton.
"The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" explores people's fascination with celebrity. "They burn you with their radiant smiles/ Trap you with their beautiful eyes/ They're broke and shamed or drunk or scared/ But I hope they live forever," part of the lyrics says. It embodies Bowie's classic swaggering rock beat and has a very catchy hook, "Stars are never sleeping/ Dead ones and the living."
More David Bowie News
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back on After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone to Leave 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off
- Kristen Stewart and St. Vincent Make Red Carpet Debut as Couple at Vogue Event