Mark Wahlberg Unveils He's Almost Cast as Kirk's Dad in 'Star Trek'
Turns out Mark Wahlberg almost became a cast member of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" franchise. The "Ted" actor revealed that he was offered by Abrams to tackle a key role in the 2009 space movie, but he turned it down. The actor was later surprised, and probably regretted his decision, after learning the movie became a massive hit.
"I remember [J.J. Abrams] asking me to play Captain Kirk's father in Star Trek," Wahlberg confessed to Total Film, while gushing about being a fan of the "Super 8" helmer. The "Broken City" star then said that he was not interested in the script at the time.
Wahlberg, who admitted he's never a fan of sci-fi genre, went, "I tried to read the script, but I couldn't even - I didn't understand the words or dialog or anything, and I said, 'I couldn't do this. I think you're really talented but I couldn't do it.' Then I saw the movie and I was like, 'Holy s***, he did a great job'."
Abrams is currently preparing to release "Star Trek Into Darkness" on May 17. He's also signed on to helm another space saga film "Star Wars Episode 7" for a 2015 release Stateside. Wahlberg, meanwhile, will next appear in "Pain and Gain" and "2 Guns". He's also up to film "Transformers 4" and "Ted 2".
More Star Trek News
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction