Mark Wahlberg Unveils He's Almost Cast as Kirk's Dad in 'Star Trek'
Turns out Mark Wahlberg almost became a cast member of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" franchise. The "Ted" actor revealed that he was offered by Abrams to tackle a key role in the 2009 space movie, but he turned it down. The actor was later surprised, and probably regretted his decision, after learning the movie became a massive hit.
"I remember [J.J. Abrams] asking me to play Captain Kirk's father in Star Trek," Wahlberg confessed to Total Film, while gushing about being a fan of the "Super 8" helmer. The "Broken City" star then said that he was not interested in the script at the time.
Wahlberg, who admitted he's never a fan of sci-fi genre, went, "I tried to read the script, but I couldn't even - I didn't understand the words or dialog or anything, and I said, 'I couldn't do this. I think you're really talented but I couldn't do it.' Then I saw the movie and I was like, 'Holy s***, he did a great job'."
Abrams is currently preparing to release "Star Trek Into Darkness" on May 17. He's also signed on to helm another space saga film "Star Wars Episode 7" for a 2015 release Stateside. Wahlberg, meanwhile, will next appear in "Pain and Gain" and "2 Guns". He's also up to film "Transformers 4" and "Ted 2".
More Star Trek News
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell