Angelina Jolie's 'Unbroken' Finds Its New Writers in the Coen Brothers
Angelina Jolie has found herself perfect writers to rewrite the script for her upcoming directorial film "Unbroken". According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ethan and Joel Coen are set to team up with the longtime partner of Brad Pitt for the World War II drama.
The Coen brothers will adapt the story from Laura Hillenbrand's 2010 book of the same title. The draft of the script was previously written by William Nicholson and Richard LaGravenese before the helmer of "In the Land of Blood and Honey" signed on.
"Unbroken" tells the story of Louis Zamperini, a former Olympian and WWII bombadier whose plane crashed at sea in 1943. Zamperini and two crewmates floated adrift for 47 days and 2000 miles - he was caught by the Japanese Navy and sent to a POW camp where he was specifically targeted by a sadistic overseer.
Universal Pictures has been trying to adapt Zamperini's story into the big screen for decades. It finally bought the rights to Hillenbrand's book in 2011 and tapped "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" director Francis Lawrence to serve behind the lens.
Following Lawrence's departure, Jolie boarded as the new director last December. Words are, the "Salt" actress has been spending weeks to search for top-notch scribes to adapt the story. It is rumored that she's being extremely picky with her choice. In addition to directing it, Jolie serves as a co-producer alongside Matthew Baer and Erwin Stoff.
As for the Coen brothers, the duo recently directed "Inside Llewyn Davis", an upcoming film about folk music scene staring Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, Justin Timberlake and Garrett Hedlund. The duo have been nominated five times for Oscars in writing category and have won two for "No Country for Old Men" and "Fargo".
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off