Green Day to Return Onstage at SXSW Post-Billie Joe Armstrong Rehab
Pop rock band Green Day has announced that they would make their South By SouthWest debut on March 15 in Austin, two weeks before their own tour. It will be their first live show since their short break following frontman Billie Joe Armstrong's rehab last fall, which caused them to postpone their tour dates for 2012 and early 2013.
During the festival, the band will also screen their two documentaries at the Paramount Theatre. It will be the world premiere of "Broadway Idiot" which chronicles the adaptation of their album "American Idiot" as a Tony Award-nominated Broadway musical while "Cuatro!", which tracks the making of Green Day's recent "Uno!", "Dos!" and "Tre!" albums, will be featured again after its debut last month at the X Games.
After the special double-feature, Armstrong, bassist and backing vocalist Mike Dirnt, drummer Tre Cool as well as guitarist and backing vocalist Jason White will troop to the Moody Theatre to perform an Austin City Limits Live show. It will be their first onstage performance prior to resuming their tour on March 28 in Chicago.
The quintet was forced to postpone their tour following Armstrong's meltdown at the iHeartRadio music festival in Las Vegas back in September. Despite already having implemented an extensive promotional campaign for it, they had to forego the tour to give time for Armstrong's treatment for substance abuse.
More Green Day News
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip
- Katie Holmes Looks Gloomy Amid Rumor She Gets 'Dumped' by Jamie Foxx
- New 'Game of Thrones' Set Video Captures the Monumental Meeting
- Jay-Z to Host Clinton Concert Aimed at Young Black Voters in Ohio
- Here's the First Look at Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock on 'Ocean's Eight' Set
- Lady GaGa Annoyed by Traffic in 'Carpool Karaoke'. Get the Sneak Peek!
- Ryan Lochte Celebrates His Dog's 8th Birthday for Three Consecutive Years
- Rihanna Asks for Help to Find Her Missing Backup Dancer Shirlene Quigley