Oscars 2013 Rises in Ratings From Last Year, Tops Other Award Shows This Season
The 85th annual Academy Awards drew big ratings for ABC which broadcast the show on Sunday night, February 24. The prestigious prize-giving event posted an average of 40.3 million viewers and a 13.0 rating among adults 18-49, according to Nielsen.
It is up 3% from 2012 in total viewers and rises even bigger, 11%, in the demo compared to last year's ceremony hosted by Billy Crystal. It marks the second most-watched Oscars telecast since 2005 and tops other big award shows this season, including the Golden Globe Awards and the Grammy Awards.
This year's Oscars had "music in film" as its theme and featured a tribute to James Bond film franchise which recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. Host Seth MacFarlane was criticized for his jokes, but he proved to be effective to lure younger audience.
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs