Oscars 2013 Rises in Ratings From Last Year, Tops Other Award Shows This Season
The 85th annual Academy Awards drew big ratings for ABC which broadcast the show on Sunday night, February 24. The prestigious prize-giving event posted an average of 40.3 million viewers and a 13.0 rating among adults 18-49, according to Nielsen.
It is up 3% from 2012 in total viewers and rises even bigger, 11%, in the demo compared to last year's ceremony hosted by Billy Crystal. It marks the second most-watched Oscars telecast since 2005 and tops other big award shows this season, including the Golden Globe Awards and the Grammy Awards.
This year's Oscars had "music in film" as its theme and featured a tribute to James Bond film franchise which recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. Host Seth MacFarlane was criticized for his jokes, but he proved to be effective to lure younger audience.
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen
- Ciara Is Pregnant With Russell Wilson's Baby. See the Sweet Announcement
- Perrie Edwards Splits From Luke Pasqualino After Two Months of Dating
- Shawn Levy to Direct Sony's 'Uncharted' Movie
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says