Elton John Eyes September Release Date for New Album 'The Diving Board'
British rock singer-songwriter Elton John has just wrapped up work on his thirty-first career album, "The Diving Board", saying it is "the most piano-oriented album of my career." The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee is eyeing a September release date for the thirteen-track album, and unveiling the complete track list in advance of the still far off release.
"We wrote 11 songs in three and recorded them in four days," John revealed to friends, associates and journalists who came to the Village Studios for a listening party hosted by the "Candle in the Wind" singer to preview his latest work. Apparently, John had written all the tracks in his new LP within only two sessions with lyricist Bernie Taupin.
The first writing session was back in 2012, after he finished his "The Union" collaboration album with Leon Russell, followed by the second session a year after. "In hindsight, I realize I never had that before," John said of being able to keep himself from composing for a good period of time.
His "The Union" producer, T-Bone Burnett, likewise produced John's latest studio effort. It is a mix of gospel, blues, jazz, brass band music, pop and a waltz, which John said is "everything I love about American music." John said each song had a very cinematic feel to it, since his co-lyricist Taupin treats each song as a short story. He gushed, "This is the album I should be making after 'The Union.' It's my most adult album."
Elton John's "The Diving Board":
- "Oceans Away"
- "Oscar Wilde Gets Out"
- "A Town Called Jubilee"
- "The Ballad of Blind Tom"
- "My Quicksand"
- "Can't Stay Alone Tonight"
- "Home Again"
- "Take This Dirty Water"
- "The New Fever Waltz"
- "Mexican Vacation (Kids in the Candlelight)"
- "Candlelit Bedroom"
- "The Diving Board"
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences