'Identity Thief' Stays Atop Box Office on Oscars Weekend
"Identity Thief" reclaims the top spot of the North American box office on the Oscars weekend. Bagging around $14 million, the comedy starring Melissa McCarthy collects a total domestic cume of $93.6 million after two weeks of playing Stateside.
Failing to claim the no. 1 spot, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's new actioner "Snitch" opens on the runner-up place with an estimated $13 million. The movie opens in a slow weekend amid the busy week of 85th Academy Awards ceremony, but it still bests the $8 million opening of Johnson's 2008 pic "Faster".
"Escape From Planet Earth" secures the third place, adding around $11 million to its total domestic gross of $35.1 million on its second weekend. Filling the fourth and fifth places respectively are "Safe Haven" which adds around $10.6 million to its $48 million cume, and "A Good Day to Die Hard" which bags approximately $10 million for a total gross of $51. 8 million.
Newcomer "Dark Skies" enters the chart on the sixth position, bagging around $8.8 million. The film starring Keri Russell, Josh Hamilton and Dakota Goyo was made with a budget of merely $3.5 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 22-24:
- "Identity Thief" - $14 million
- "Snitch" - $13 million
- "Escape From Planet Earth" - $11 million
- "Safe Haven" - $10.6 million
- "A Good Day to Die Hard" - $10 million
- "Dark Skies" - $8.8 million
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $6 million
- "Warm Bodies" - $4.7 million
- "Side Effects" - $3.5 million
- "Beautiful Creatures" - $3.4 million
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3