Lena Dunham Responds to N-Word Controversy
Lena Dunham finally spoke up in regards to N-word controversy involving her and comedian Lisa Lampanelli. On February 18, the comedian posted a picture of her and Lena with a caption read, "Me with my n***a @LenaDunham of @HBOGirls - I love this beyotch!" Public was enraged by the offensive N-word.
A journalist, Shayla Pierce, wrote an entry in xojanedotcom to address this issue. In addition, she took to Twitter to express her opinion regarding the N-word issue and mentioned the tweets to Lena. The author wrote, "I referred to @girlsHBO's @lenadunham as 'rad' in one of my most recent pieces for @xojanedotcom. I'd like to publicly retract that." She added criticism to Lena's silence, saying, "@LenaDunham has showed her true colors on this whole n-word debacle. Her silence speaks volumes."
Shayla shared her experience related to the derogative term in the xojanedotcom entry. The author wrote, "Despite what anyone may try to tell you, no subtle alterations to its second syllable will change the fact that the word can devalue a human being in a way that little else can."
Lena replied to Shayla's tweets, saying, "That's not a word I would EVER use. Its implications are beyond my comprehension. I was made supremely uncomfortable by it." Lena added, "Perhaps I should have addressed it, but the fact is I've learned that twitter debates breed more twitter debates. Don't like the idea that my silence read to you as tacit approval. It wasn't.... But 140 characters will never be enough for the kind of dialog that will actually help us address issues of race and class."
Lena also praised Shayla's writing, saying, "Beautifully written. I'm sorry that any of those feelings were evoked for you, especially by a sentence with my name in it." Shayla replied, "Thank you so much. And I do <3 you and your work. Thanks for addressing this *hugsies*."
More Lena Dunham News
- 'Simpsons' Creator Matt Groening's New Animated Show 'Disenchantment' Coming to Netflix
- Robert Pattinson Addresses Relationship With FKA twigs: We're Still 'Kind of' Engaged
- Meghan Markle Wants to Have Twins With Prince Harry
- Did Justin Bieber Cancel Tour Due to Religious Reasons?
- Leonardo DiCaprio Brings 'The Right Stuff' TV Adaptation to National Geographic
- Is Celine Dion Dating Backup Dancer Pepe Munoz?
- 'Wonder Woman 2' Gets Release Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Kristen Stewart and Stella Maxwell Crash a Same-Sex Wedding to Everyone's Delight