Madonna Leads Billboard Top 40 Money Makers for 2013
Iconic music superstar Madonna leads Billboard's list of the top forty money makers in music this year. Her claim to the no. 1 spot is fueled by her blockbuster "MDNA" tour. This is her second time to top the moneymakers list, having held the top spot back in 2008.
With $1 million separating her from runner-up Bruce Springsteen, the Queen of Pop narrowly edges the former The E Street Band frontman who, like Madonna, also owes his current success to touring. The Boss played a variety of tours this year, most recent of which was the one in support of his chart-topping album "Wrecking Ball".
Other top acts who make it into the top ten include former Pink Floyd band member Roger Waters, hard rock band Van Halen, and country crooner Kenney Chesney, holding the third, fourth and fifth spot respectively. At the bottom half of the ten highest earners are the Dave Matthews Band, country singers Tim McGraw and Jason Aldean, British alternative rock band Coldplay and Canadian pop superstar Justin Bieber, rounding up the top ten.
The rankings are a result of tallied data from Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen BDS, YouTube and Billboard Boxscore, based on U.S. earnings from touring, recorded-music sales, and publishing royalties. Also included are revenue from an assortment of digital music and video sales from downloads, as well as on-demand and non-interactive streaming.
Billboard's Music's Top 40 Money Makers 2013
- Madonna $34,577,308.62)
- Bruce Springsteen $33,443,606.64
- Roger Waters $21,160,131.06
- Van Halen $20,184,709.91
- Kenny Chesney $19,148,525.24
- Dave Matthews Band $18,903,334.14
- Tim McGraw $18,329,167.89
- Jason Aldean $17,578,651.96
- Coldplay $17,300,144.34
- Justin Bieber $15,944,293.10
- Adele $13,906,635.76
- Lady Antebellum $12,968,992.17
- Celine Dion $12,927,494.01
- Brad Paisley $12,848,724.84
- Taylor Swift $12,695,783.32
- Carrie Underwood $11,942,956.65
- Nickelback $11,121,419.71
- Eric Church $11,015,773.11
- Rascal Flatts $10,777,282.68
- Barbra Streisand $10,611,419.16
- Neil Diamond $10,498,985.38
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra $9,959,362.28
- Toby Keith $9,805,764.04
- Drake $9,504,992.38
- Red Hot Chili Peppers $9,477,807.56
- The Rolling Stones $9,276,084.10
- Miranda Lambert $8,818,536.04
- Rush $8,719,834.30
- Elton John $8,575,518.13
- One Direction $7,955,840.71
- Phish $7,382,514.39
- The Black Keys $7,358,679.41
- Maroon 5 $7,159,923.53
- Jay-Z $7,011,905.17
- Journey $6,983,106.58
- Andrea Bocelli $6,732,442.76
- Zac Brown Band $6,682,797.58
- Rod Stewart $6,459,568.26
- Mumford & Sons $6,168,737.62
- Blake Shelton $5,914,591.11
More Madonna News
- Doctor Strange Could Unite the Divided Avengers in 'Infinity War', Says Benedict Cumberbatch
- Justin Bieber Previews New Song 'Close to You'
- Watch Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon Return to Camp Winnipesaukee in the Fall
- They Don't Belong Together. James Packer Dumps Mariah Carey Over Her 'Excessive Spending'
- James McAvoy Lets Loose 'The Beast' in New 'Split' Trailer
- Britney Spears Undergoing Surgery to 'Tweak' Her Nipples and Areolas?
- Pussy Riot Dedicates 'Straight Outta Vagina' Video to Donald Trump
- See Photos of 'Pretty Little Liars' Stars on Last Day of Filming Series Finale