Cleotha Staples of The Staples Dies at 78
Cleotha Staples, the eldest sibling of the influential and best-selling gospel group The Staples Singer, died Thursday, February 21. Bill Carpenter, a family friend and music publicist, said the singer who died at age of 78 had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for the past decade.
When Cleotha died, she was under 24-hour home care. According to Mavis Staples, Cleotha's longtime caretaker was with her when she died at 11:11 A.M. in her high-rise condominium on the South Side, Chicago.
Cleotha was the first child born to Roebuck Staples and his wife, Oceola, in 1934. She was born in Mississipi, but then moved to Chicago. In the late '40s, Roebuck taught his children gospel songs. Soon afterwards, the group was born and invited to perform at churches on the South Side. Two decades later, the group became an unlikely hitmaker for the Stax label.
The Staples Singers, including Cleotha, Pervis, Yvonne, Mavis and Cynthia Staples, became one of the biggest gospel groups of the era with songs such as "On My Way to Heaven", "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and "Uncloudy Day".
Cleotha was the gospel group's backbone for being "strong, silent type," Bill said. "When she was young they used to call her granny because she acted like a granny in terms of being wise and always sure of the best thing to do."
Cleotha was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with her family in 1999 and received a lifetime achievement award from the Grammys in 2005. At the end of her life, Cleotha Staples lived near her sisters Mavis and Yvonne on Chicago's South Side. Bill said the sisters were vigilant caretakers of Cleotha, just as she had been when the sisters were younger.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart