Baauer's Viral Hit 'Harlem Shake' Debuts Atop Hot 100
In a historic week for the Billboard Hot 100, Baauer's viral hit "Harlem Shake" debuts at the top spot of the chart. The track claims victory after Billboard and Nielsen allowed YouTube video streaming data to become part of the hit list's methodology.
With YouTube streaming data being factored into the chart, digital download tracks, terrestrial radio airplay, on-demand audio streaming and online radio streaming are now possible to enter the countdown.
Baauer's win on Hot 100 marks another achievement for the New York-based artist. His viral hit becomes the 21st in the history of the chart to enter the chart on the top position. It also becomes the first no.1 song by a relatively unknown artist prior to the charting.
Prior to Baauer, three new artists (Clay Aiken, Fantasia Barrino and Carrie Underwood) made their debuts atop Hot 100. However, they were already familiar to the audience due to their weekly exposure on "American Idol". Additionally, Lauryn Hill debuted atop the chart in 1998, but she was already famous with her group The Fugees.
"Harlem Shake" quickly became viral throughout the country since the artist was able to take advantage of the digital era. The track became extremely popular thanks to the "Harlem Shake" meme, which concept includes a person dancing to the song alone in a covered face for 15 seconds with people around him/her being unaware of the movement. Suddenly, all participants join the first person for the rest of the clip.
Back to the Hot 100 chart, rap duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop" drops to the runner-up spot this week after four weeks reigning the chart. Rihanna's "Stay" jumps up to the third spot after landing on the 57th place last week. Securing the fourth and fifth places respectively are will.i.am and Britney Spears' "Scream & Shot" and Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble".
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016
- Kanye West Debuts Blonde Hair While Making First Public Appearance Since Hospitalization
- 'Logan' Reveals First Look at Richard E. Grant's Zander Rice
- Candace Cameron Exits 'The View' Because of 'Fuller House'
- First Look at Dinozords Unveiled in 'Power Rangers' Poster
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'