Baauer's Viral Hit 'Harlem Shake' Debuts Atop Hot 100
In a historic week for the Billboard Hot 100, Baauer's viral hit "Harlem Shake" debuts at the top spot of the chart. The track claims victory after Billboard and Nielsen allowed YouTube video streaming data to become part of the hit list's methodology.
With YouTube streaming data being factored into the chart, digital download tracks, terrestrial radio airplay, on-demand audio streaming and online radio streaming are now possible to enter the countdown.
Baauer's win on Hot 100 marks another achievement for the New York-based artist. His viral hit becomes the 21st in the history of the chart to enter the chart on the top position. It also becomes the first no.1 song by a relatively unknown artist prior to the charting.
Prior to Baauer, three new artists (Clay Aiken, Fantasia Barrino and Carrie Underwood) made their debuts atop Hot 100. However, they were already familiar to the audience due to their weekly exposure on "American Idol". Additionally, Lauryn Hill debuted atop the chart in 1998, but she was already famous with her group The Fugees.
"Harlem Shake" quickly became viral throughout the country since the artist was able to take advantage of the digital era. The track became extremely popular thanks to the "Harlem Shake" meme, which concept includes a person dancing to the song alone in a covered face for 15 seconds with people around him/her being unaware of the movement. Suddenly, all participants join the first person for the rest of the clip.
Back to the Hot 100 chart, rap duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop" drops to the runner-up spot this week after four weeks reigning the chart. Rihanna's "Stay" jumps up to the third spot after landing on the 57th place last week. Securing the fourth and fifth places respectively are will.i.am and Britney Spears' "Scream & Shot" and Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble".
- Nick Jonas Caught Enjoying a Date Night With a Mystery Blonde
- The Next 'X-Men' Sequel May Be Directed by Simon Kinberg
- Jimmy Kimmel Will Try His Best to Keep Matt Damon Off Oscars' Stage
- Prince Harry Plans to Move to the U.S. Once He Marries Meghan Markle
- Ed Sheeran Covers Little Mix's 'Touch' in Radio 1's Live Lounge
- Blonde Justin Bieber Enjoys Sunbathing in Acapulco - See the Pics
- 'Game of Thrones' Actor Alfie Allen to Join 'The Predator'
- Ben Affleck Moves Back in With Jennifer Garner Amid Divorce Rumors