Seth MacFarlane Opens Up About His Preparation to Host 2013 Oscars
Just a few days left before Seth MacFarlane takes the stage to host the 85th Annual Academy Awards. Speaking about his first-ever hosting gig for the prestigious film awards event, the "Family Guy" creator claims that he's more than ready for the show.
To USA Today, MacFarlane shares that he already has a plan to overcome his nerve for the upcoming event. "They say look and find a friendly face in the audience," says the funnyman. "Actually, I am very fond of my (Siamse fighting) fish, and I'm going to take the tank and put it right in the front row. If I get nervous, I'll look at the betta."
On the surprise he will bring for the big event, the "Ted" helmer remains mum about it, but he doesn't mind to give a few clues. "There is a certain element, even in the days when (five-time host) Johnny Carson was there, of roasting," he says. "It's just a matter of how black the meat gets. I'm going somewhere from medium to medium well."
MacFarlane, who is best known for his R-rated jokes, promises that he will keep it "family-friendly" when hosting the Oscars. He states, "The Oscars will still be something a family in 2013 can sit down and watch and be just fine with."
"A family in 1955 might have some issue with it. In 2013, everyone will be fine. Then again, I'm not married and I don't have kids. And my mother was saying (nasty things) out loud by the time I was 5. So maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask."
With MacFarlane serving as the host, the upcoming Oscars telecast is expected to attract more younger audience. Oscar producer Neil Meron says, "The Oscars have been criticized for seemingly not being relevant, and that goes to our choice of Seth. He's a reflection of the current pop culture and completely relevant. We love that."
His producing partner Craig Zadan adds, "It's the unpredictable quality of the show. With certain hosts, you sort of know what the show is going to be. With Seth, no one knows what the show is going to be."
Despite the prestige, hosting the Oscars is not an easy job to tackle. Bill Maher, who is also a good friend of MacFarlane, weighs in, "It's a tough gig. We've seen a lot of people crash and burn doing this. There's a lot of anxiety in the room during the night."
The 2013 Oscars is set to take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood & Highland Center. Slated as the musical performers for the February 24 ceremony are Adele, Norah Jones and Barbra Streisand. The show will be broadcast live on the ABC Television Network in more than 225 countries.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie