'Downton Abbey': Tom Ellis Is Strong Contender to Be Lady Mary's Love Interest
"Downton Abbey" is close to find a new love interest for the recently widowed Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery). The show's producers have been auditioning actors for the role since earlier this year and have reportedly set their eyes on Tom Ellis.
According to U.K.'s Mirror, the "Miranda" actor impressed the producers during his audition and is shortlisted for the said part. An ITV source says, "He really showed his versatility, and he's also incredibly popular with the female viewers."
"We know that Tom's got a lot of other options at the moment but if he does get the role it will be an incredible opportunity for him," the source goes on claiming. "A lot of the current cast have become global superstars. And it is always a bit of a coup for us to attract a major BBC star to a flagship ITV show like 'Downton Abbey'. "
Lady Mary lost her husband Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens) in a car crash in the season 3 finale. The writers killed off Stevens' character as the actor asked to be released from the show for professional reasons. Lady Mary's new romance reportedly will be a main plot in the upcoming season, which will begin filming this spring.
Ellis is known to British audience as Dr. Oliver Cousins on BBC's soap opera "EastEnders" and Gary on BBC1 comedy "Miranda". U.S. viewers, meanwhile, may know him as Squash in the 2011 Joaquin Phoenix movie, "Buffalo Soldiers", and as King Cenred on BBC series' "Merlin".
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday