'Argo' and 'Zero Dark Thirty' Win Big at 2013 Writers Guild Awards
Ben Affleck's "Argo" snatched yet another prestigious award. This time around, the Iranian hostage drama claimed the Best Adapted Screenplay prize at the 2013 Writers Guild of America Awards which was held on Sunday, February 17.
The coveted award went to screenwriter Chris Terrio, who adapted the script based on a selection from "The Master of Disguise" by Antonio J. Mendez and the Wired Magazine article "The Great Escape" by Joshuah Bearman.
Terrio beat out the likes of Tony Kushner ("Lincoln"), David O. Russell ("Silver Linings Playbook"), David Magee ("Life of Pi"), and Stephen Chbosky ("The Perks of Being a Wallflower").
As for the Original Screenplay, the prize was claimed by "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)". Scribe Mark Boal collected the gong, defeating John Gatins ("Flight"), Rian Johnson ("Looper"), Paul Thomas Anderson ("The Master") and Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola ("Moonrise Kingdom").
Apart from movie category, WGAs also handed out its awards for TV field. "Louie" won the writing award for the Comedy Series, "Breaking Bad" for the Drama Series, and "Girls" for the New Series. In the category of comedy/variety, "Portlandia" won for series, while the "66th Annual Tony Awards" won for special.
2013 Writers Guild Awards Winners: Film:
- ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)", Written by Mark Boal
- ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "Argo", Screenplay by Chris Terrio
- DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY: "Searching for Sugar Man", Written by Malik Bendjelloul
- DRAMA SERIES: "Breaking Bad", Written by Sam Catlin, Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, Gennifer Hutchison, George Mastras, Thomas Schnauz, Moira Walley-Beckett
- COMEDY SERIES: "Louie", Written by Pamela Adlon, Vernon Chatman, Louis C.K.
- NEW SERIES: "Girls", Written by Judd Apatow, Lesley Arfin, Lena Dunham, Sarah Heyward, Bruce Eric Kaplan, Jenni Konner, Deborah Schoeneman, Dan Sterling
- EPISODIC DRAMA: "The Other Woman" ("Mad Men"), Written by Semi Chellas and Matthew Weiner
- EPISODIC COMEDY: "Virgin Territory" ("Modern Family"), Written by Elaine Ko
- LONG FORM - ORIGINAL: "Hatfields & McCoys", Nights Two and Three, Teleplay by Ted Mann and Ronald Parker, Story by Bill Kerby and Ted Mann
- LONG FORM - ADAPTED: "Game Change", Written by Danny Strong
- ANIMATION: "Ned 'N' Edna's Blend Agenda" ("The Simpsons"), Written by Jeff Westbrook
- COMEDY / VARIETY (INCLUDING TALK) - SERIES: "Portlandia", Writers: Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein, Karey Dornetto, Jonathan Krisel, Bill Oakley
- COMEDY / VARIETY - MUSIC, AWARDS, TRIBUTES - SPECIALS: 66th Annual Tony Awards, Written by Dave Boone
- DAYTIME DRAMA: "The Young and the Restless", Written by Amanda Beall, Jeff Beldner, Susan Dansby, Janice Ferri Esser, Jay Gibson, Scott Hamner, Marla Kanelos, Natalie Minardi Slater, Beth Milstein, Michael Montgomery, Anne Schoettle, Linda Schreiber, Sarah K. Smith, Christopher J. Whitesell, Teresa Zimmerman
- CHILDREN'S - EPISODIC & SPECIALS: "The Good Sport" ("Sesame Street"), Written by Christine Ferraro
- CHILDREN'S - LONG FORM OR SPECIAL: "Girl vs. Monster", Teleplay by Annie DeYoung and Ron McGee, Story by Annie DeYoung
- DOCUMENTARY - CURRENT EVENTS: "Money, Power and Wall Street: Episode One" ("Frontline"), Written by Martin Smith and Marcela Gaviria
- DOCUMENTARY - OTHER THAN CURRENT EVENTS: "The Fabric of the Cosmos: The Illusion of Time" ("Nova"), Telescript by Randall MacLowry, Story by Joseph McMaster and Randall MacLowry
- NEWS - REGULARLY SCHEDULED, BULLETIN, OR BREAKING REPORT: "Tragedy In Colorado: The Movie Theatre Massacre", Written by Lisa Ferri, Joel Siegel
- NEWS - ANALYSIS, FEATURE, OR COMMENTARY: "The Ghost of Joe McCarthy" ("Moyers & Company"), Written by Bill Moyers, Michael Winship
- NEWS - REGULARLY SCHEDULED OR BREAKING REPORT: "World News This Year 2011", Written by Darren Reynolds
- NEWS - ANALYSIS, FEATURE, OR COMMENTARY: "Dishin Digital", Written by Robert Hawley
- ON-AIR PROMOTION (RADIO OR TELEVISION): "Partners" Written by Dan A. Greenberger
- TELEVISION GRAPHIC ANIMATION: "The Oscars" ("Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood"), Animation by Bob Pook
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN VIDEOGAME WRITING: "Assassin's Creed III: Liberation", Scriptwriting by Richard Farrese, Jill Murray; Ubisoft
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN WRITING ORIGINAL NEW MEDIA: "The Compromises, Episode 1", "The Pest, Episode 3", "The Snake, Episode 4", "The Bonding, Episode 6", "The Future, Episode 7/Series Finale" (Jack in a Box), Written by Michael Cyril Creighton; jackinaboxsite.com
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN WRITING DERIVATIVE NEW MEDIA: "Hide And Seek", "Keys to the Kingdom", "The Chosen Ones", "Parting Shots" ("The Walking Dead: Cold Storage"), Written by John Esposito; amctv.com
More Argo News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance