One Direction Announces Australian Opening Act for Their World Tour
Fans who will go to any of One Direction's 110-city world tour shows will get a double dose of music heartthrob goodness as the British-Irish boyband announced that up-and-coming Australian pop rock band 5 Seconds of Summer had snatched the coveted gig of being their opening act. The fab five have handpicked the quartet of Luke Hemmings, Michael Clifford, Calum Hood and Ashton Irwin to trek with them and play in front of the biggest crowds imaginable.
"We're so excited to have them on the road with us and we know our fans are going to LOVE what these lads do," proclaimed Niall Horan. The rising pop rockers were apparently discovered on YouTube by 1D's Louis Tomlinson last year and 1D "all knew straight away they were very special," championing the Aussie act via social media.
5SOS went from Sydney's western suburbs to relocate to London where they wrote and recorded their debut in December and hooked up with One Direction. The two groups struck a friendship, playing soccer and hanging out in the recording studio.
"None of this has sunk in for us; it's surreal to think we will be on the same bill as a band who are on such a world-wide scale," said 5SOS lead Clifford. "And now I look at my calendar in my iPhone and it goes from 'doing our thing, doing our thing, four shows at the O2 arena in two days! It's crazy.''
The tour will kick off February 23 in London's O2 Arena.
More One Direction News
- 'Fargo' Season 3 First Full Trailer: What Does Ewan McGregor's Emmit Owe to His Twin Brother?
- Ready to Mingle? Tom Cruise's 'Fallen' for 'M:I 6' Co-Star Vanessa Kirby
- 'The Talk' Host Sheryl Underwood Cries as She Reveals Terrifying Rape Ordeal
- Brie Larson to Play U.S. First Female Presidential Candidate in Victoria Woodhull Biopic
- Netflix Debuts 'Death Note' Teaser Trailer and It's Slammed for Whitewashing
- Michael Shannon Joins Contention to Play Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus Caught in Lip-Lock Amid Romance Rumors
- Lorde, Muse, The Killers, Chance the Rapper, Arcade Fire to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza