Jenny McCarthy Criticizes Rex Reed for Insulting Melissa McCarthy's Weight
Jenny McCarthy slammed film critic Rex Reed for attacking Melissa McCarthy's weight when he wrote a review for Melissa's new film "Identity Thief" in New York Observer, Tuesday, February 5. "When you have talent, you have talent. People shouldn't personally attack anyone who's in front of the camera," Jenny said on Access Hollywood Live on February 12.
"I don't have the whole story, but, I do know that, after being in this business 20 years, it's really crummy that you get attacked in your personal life in general," Jenny also told E! News on Tuesday. She continued defending her cousin, Melissa, "She's very very talented and people know that, so... He can go to hell."
In his review of Melissa's new comedy film, Rex reffered to the actress as "tractor-sized," "a humongous creep" and a "female hippo." He also wrote, "Melissa McCarthy ('Bridesmaids') is a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success."
"That's obnoxious in itself," Jenny told E! News. "For anyone to attack like that, it's just wrong and hurtful, and it doesn't do anyone any good -not even Rex Reed, you know?"
Jenny wasn't the only one who slammed Rex. "Bridesmaids" director Paul Feig tweeted, "For his catty and school bully name-calling of the supremely talented Melissa McCarthy, I cordially invite Mr. Rex Reed to go f**k himself."
Explaining his choice of words, Rex claimed, "My point was that I object to using health issues like obesity as comic talking points... (Melissa McCarthy) is basing her carreer on being obnoxious and being overwight. And I don't think that's funny."
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'