Jenny McCarthy Criticizes Rex Reed for Insulting Melissa McCarthy's Weight
Jenny McCarthy slammed film critic Rex Reed for attacking Melissa McCarthy's weight when he wrote a review for Melissa's new film "Identity Thief" in New York Observer, Tuesday, February 5. "When you have talent, you have talent. People shouldn't personally attack anyone who's in front of the camera," Jenny said on Access Hollywood Live on February 12.
"I don't have the whole story, but, I do know that, after being in this business 20 years, it's really crummy that you get attacked in your personal life in general," Jenny also told E! News on Tuesday. She continued defending her cousin, Melissa, "She's very very talented and people know that, so... He can go to hell."
In his review of Melissa's new comedy film, Rex reffered to the actress as "tractor-sized," "a humongous creep" and a "female hippo." He also wrote, "Melissa McCarthy ('Bridesmaids') is a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success."
"That's obnoxious in itself," Jenny told E! News. "For anyone to attack like that, it's just wrong and hurtful, and it doesn't do anyone any good -not even Rex Reed, you know?"
Jenny wasn't the only one who slammed Rex. "Bridesmaids" director Paul Feig tweeted, "For his catty and school bully name-calling of the supremely talented Melissa McCarthy, I cordially invite Mr. Rex Reed to go f**k himself."
Explaining his choice of words, Rex claimed, "My point was that I object to using health issues like obesity as comic talking points... (Melissa McCarthy) is basing her carreer on being obnoxious and being overwight. And I don't think that's funny."
- 'Gotham' Star Donal Logue's Child Is Missing
- 'Star Trek' Alum to Direct an Upcoming Episode of 'Star Trek: Discovery'
- Kim Kardashian Mom-Shamed Over Saint West's Front-Facing Car Seat
- Rihanna Caught Making Out With Mystery Man in Spain
- Kendrick Lamar Gets Violent in New Brutal Video for 'Element'
- 'Girl with Dragon Tattoo' Star Michael Nyqvist Dies at 56
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears