'Identity Thief' Opens Strong on Box Office Despite Blizzard Nemo
Amid winter storm Nemo that struck the Northeast region in the States, this week's box office still performs quite strong with Melissa McCarthy's "Identity Thief" claiming victory with a big result. Taking in around $36.5 million on its debut weekend, the R-rated comedy performs beyond Universal Pictures' expectations.
The satisfying result marks the biggest opening for an R-rated comedy movie in 2013 so far and one of the top five of all time. It even bests the $28 million opening scored by fellow Universal movie, "Mama", four weeks ago.
Despite the success, the studio believes that "Identity Thief" could have opened to an estimated $40 million if there's no blizzard that paralyzed most of New England. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, received a "B" CinemaScore from the audience, which is made up of 58% female moviegoers.
Last week's winner "Warm Bodies" drops to the second spot with an estimated $11.5 million, falling 44% from the previous week. Newcomer "Side Effects", meanwhile, places third with approximately $10 million, in line with Open Road Films' expectations. After being screened Stateside and receiving a "B" CinemaScore, the last directorial film from Steven Soderbergh will make its world premiere next week at the 2013 Berlinale in Germany.
"Silver Linings Playbook" and "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" secure the fourth and fifth places respectively. The Oscar-nominated dramedy bags around $6.9 million, dropping 11% from last week, while the twisted fairytale thriller collects an estimated $5.7 million, falling 39% from the previous week.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 8-10:
- "Identity Thief" - $36.5 million
- "Warm Bodies" - $11.5 million
- "Side Effects" - $10 million
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $6.9 million
- "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" - $5.7 million
- "Mama" - $4.3 million
- "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" - $4 million
- "Argo" - $2.5 million
- "Django Unchained" - $2.2 million
- "Bullet to the Head" - $1.9 million
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'