'Identity Thief' Opens Strong on Box Office Despite Blizzard Nemo
Amid winter storm Nemo that struck the Northeast region in the States, this week's box office still performs quite strong with Melissa McCarthy's "Identity Thief" claiming victory with a big result. Taking in around $36.5 million on its debut weekend, the R-rated comedy performs beyond Universal Pictures' expectations.
The satisfying result marks the biggest opening for an R-rated comedy movie in 2013 so far and one of the top five of all time. It even bests the $28 million opening scored by fellow Universal movie, "Mama", four weeks ago.
Despite the success, the studio believes that "Identity Thief" could have opened to an estimated $40 million if there's no blizzard that paralyzed most of New England. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, received a "B" CinemaScore from the audience, which is made up of 58% female moviegoers.
Last week's winner "Warm Bodies" drops to the second spot with an estimated $11.5 million, falling 44% from the previous week. Newcomer "Side Effects", meanwhile, places third with approximately $10 million, in line with Open Road Films' expectations. After being screened Stateside and receiving a "B" CinemaScore, the last directorial film from Steven Soderbergh will make its world premiere next week at the 2013 Berlinale in Germany.
"Silver Linings Playbook" and "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" secure the fourth and fifth places respectively. The Oscar-nominated dramedy bags around $6.9 million, dropping 11% from last week, while the twisted fairytale thriller collects an estimated $5.7 million, falling 39% from the previous week.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 8-10:
- "Identity Thief" - $36.5 million
- "Warm Bodies" - $11.5 million
- "Side Effects" - $10 million
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $6.9 million
- "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" - $5.7 million
- "Mama" - $4.3 million
- "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" - $4 million
- "Argo" - $2.5 million
- "Django Unchained" - $2.2 million
- "Bullet to the Head" - $1.9 million
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016
- Taylor Swift Won't Come to MTV VMAs 2016 as Kanye West Is Given Free Reign on Stage
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck