'Identity Thief' Opens Strong on Box Office Despite Blizzard Nemo
Amid winter storm Nemo that struck the Northeast region in the States, this week's box office still performs quite strong with Melissa McCarthy's "Identity Thief" claiming victory with a big result. Taking in around $36.5 million on its debut weekend, the R-rated comedy performs beyond Universal Pictures' expectations.
The satisfying result marks the biggest opening for an R-rated comedy movie in 2013 so far and one of the top five of all time. It even bests the $28 million opening scored by fellow Universal movie, "Mama", four weeks ago.
Despite the success, the studio believes that "Identity Thief" could have opened to an estimated $40 million if there's no blizzard that paralyzed most of New England. The comedy, which also stars Jason Bateman, received a "B" CinemaScore from the audience, which is made up of 58% female moviegoers.
Last week's winner "Warm Bodies" drops to the second spot with an estimated $11.5 million, falling 44% from the previous week. Newcomer "Side Effects", meanwhile, places third with approximately $10 million, in line with Open Road Films' expectations. After being screened Stateside and receiving a "B" CinemaScore, the last directorial film from Steven Soderbergh will make its world premiere next week at the 2013 Berlinale in Germany.
"Silver Linings Playbook" and "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" secure the fourth and fifth places respectively. The Oscar-nominated dramedy bags around $6.9 million, dropping 11% from last week, while the twisted fairytale thriller collects an estimated $5.7 million, falling 39% from the previous week.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 8-10:
- "Identity Thief" - $36.5 million
- "Warm Bodies" - $11.5 million
- "Side Effects" - $10 million
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - $6.9 million
- "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" - $5.7 million
- "Mama" - $4.3 million
- "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" - $4 million
- "Argo" - $2.5 million
- "Django Unchained" - $2.2 million
- "Bullet to the Head" - $1.9 million
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise