'Argo' Wins Scripter Award From USC Libraries
"Argo" is unstoppable. After winning big at Golden Globe, Producers Guild, Directors Guild and Screen Actors Guild Awards, the movie directed and co-produced by Ben Affleck now takes home a prize for best adapted screenplay at the 25th annual USC Libraries Scripter Awards.
Screenwriter Chris Terrio shared the award with journalist Joshuah Bearman who penned the original magazine article on which the screenplay was loosely based, and former CIA agent Antonio Mendez whose memoir "Master of Disguise" was adapted and who Affleck played in the film.
The prize was presented at a black-tie ceremony and dinner in the Edward L. Doheny Memorial Library at USC on Saturday night, February 9. "The Great Escape" author Bearman was the only one of the three "Argo" winners who attended the event presumably due to the bad weather.
"As a journalist, I'm totally behind this idea," he said when accepting the award, praising USC for honoring those who wrote the original material. "I think it's great."
"Argo" won over "Lincoln", "Silver Linings Playbook", "Life of Pi", "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". The movie was picked by a panel consisting of film critics, authors, screenwriters and academics chaired by Naomi Foner and Howard Rodman.
All those nominees, except for "Wallflower", is vying for best adapted screenplay at the upcoming 85th annual Academy Awards. The past two Scripter winners, "The Social Network" and "The Descendants", won the best adapted screenplay at the Oscars.
"Argo" is a movie about the rescue mission led by a CIA operative to free six U.S. diplomats during Iran hostage crisis.
More Argo News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences