Rick Ross Sued Over '3 Kings' Along With Jay-Z and Dr. Dre
After dodging a life-threatening drive-by shooting incident last week, Rick Ross is facing yet another bump in his otherwise successful career as a rapper and record label big boss. The Maybach Music Group mogul, along with other A-listers Jay-Z and Dr. Dre, has been sued by a couple of songwriters for what they claimed as an unauthorized "3 Kings" sample.
"I'm So Grateful (Keep in Touch)" songwriters Clara Shepherd Warrick and Jimmy Lee Weary have filed copyright infringement charges against the three hip-hop heavyweights for allegedly using an unauthorized sample of their 1976 composition in their big "3 Kings" collaboration track. Weary has been listed in Rozay's "God Forgives, I Don't" album as one of the writers of "3 Kings" but says he was never actually contacted regarding permission or compensation.
Although the two list the apparent lack of remuneration as one of the grounds for suing the trio, producer Jake One, and Universal Music Group (the company that houses Ross' label), the songwriting pair are motivated more by the inconsistent use of their song in a profanity-laden track, considering the two are gospel musicians.
Arguing the sample was never cleared in the first place, the lawsuit cited Rozay and co.'s song and its accompanying video's depictions of drugs, violence, sex and misogyny as "inconsistent with Plaintiffs' wishes for how Plaintiffs' song would be portrayed."
The plaintiffs are seeking an undisclosed amount for damages covering copyright infringement, unfair trade practices, unfair competition by misappropriation, conversion and unjust enrichment.
More Rick Ross News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones