Rick Ross Sued Over '3 Kings' Along With Jay-Z and Dr. Dre
After dodging a life-threatening drive-by shooting incident last week, Rick Ross is facing yet another bump in his otherwise successful career as a rapper and record label big boss. The Maybach Music Group mogul, along with other A-listers Jay-Z and Dr. Dre, has been sued by a couple of songwriters for what they claimed as an unauthorized "3 Kings" sample.
"I'm So Grateful (Keep in Touch)" songwriters Clara Shepherd Warrick and Jimmy Lee Weary have filed copyright infringement charges against the three hip-hop heavyweights for allegedly using an unauthorized sample of their 1976 composition in their big "3 Kings" collaboration track. Weary has been listed in Rozay's "God Forgives, I Don't" album as one of the writers of "3 Kings" but says he was never actually contacted regarding permission or compensation.
Although the two list the apparent lack of remuneration as one of the grounds for suing the trio, producer Jake One, and Universal Music Group (the company that houses Ross' label), the songwriting pair are motivated more by the inconsistent use of their song in a profanity-laden track, considering the two are gospel musicians.
Arguing the sample was never cleared in the first place, the lawsuit cited Rozay and co.'s song and its accompanying video's depictions of drugs, violence, sex and misogyny as "inconsistent with Plaintiffs' wishes for how Plaintiffs' song would be portrayed."
The plaintiffs are seeking an undisclosed amount for damages covering copyright infringement, unfair trade practices, unfair competition by misappropriation, conversion and unjust enrichment.
- Lindsay Lohan Is Facing Bankruptcy After Failing to Pay Rent on $4.2M London Flat
- Kanye West Shares Emotional Throwback Video of Kim Kardashian on Her 36th Birthday
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'