Video: Robin Roberts Will Return to 'Good Morning America' on February 20
Robin Roberts is gearing up to return to "Good Morning America" after making a full recovery post her bone marrow transplant following her MDS diagnosis. "She's met with her doctors, they've cleared her to come back to the show," fellow host George Stephanopoulos said Thursday, February 7.
Roberts herself announced her return to the ABC morning show in a blog post. "After seeing my doctor again this week I now know when I can return to the anchor chair. February 20th, which will be exactly 5 months since my bone marrow transplant," the 52-year-old newscaster gushed.
"I'm excited to re-join my wonderful 'GMA' family. I'm also looking forward to thanking YOU ... for your many prayers and well wishes. Your compassion has been an enormous source of comfort to me and my family," she added before signing her message with "Light Love Power Presence...XO."
"What a difference a year makes," she additionally said in an interview. "I cannot wait to return to my GMA family. It's going to be an incredible morning in Times Square. The overwhelming thoughts and prayers of the viewers have played a major part in getting me here today. I cannot thank everyone enough."
Last January, Roberts said of her preparation to get back to her "GMA" routine. She has since been doing "dry runs" in the studio to see how her body react to workload. "The process for re entry for me is…I got up at 4:00 this morning. I have to get back on 'GMA' time," she explained.
She has been doing occasional interviews to give update on her condition, while her fans and co-workers continue to send their well wishes. Most recently, she attended Super Bowl festivity in an attempt to "gradually enter more social and professional situations."
"They want me to see how many people I actually come in contact with," the anchor said. "How my body reacts to the stimulation, that's code word for stress, of being in the studio environment." She added, "All of this is getting better day by day."
Co-anchor Sam Champion said Roberts would start appearing on an abbreviated schedule before eventually returning to working five days a week. In the meantime, she is going on a vacation to enjoy some relaxing time, "I'm heading to the beach for the next week to reflect and give thanks for my many blessings."
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri