Lucy Lawless Fined and Sentenced to Community Service for Oil Protest
Lucy Lawless was sentenced Thursday, February 7, in the New Plymouth District Court for her oil-protest action in Taranaki. The "Xena: Warrior Princess" actress along with six other Greenpeace environmental activists were sentenced to 120 hours of community work and each of them was fined NZ$651, or US$547, to be paid to Port Taranaki after pleading guilty for trespassing.
However, they managed to avoid paying NZ$600,000 to Shell's Todd Oil Services in reparations for the ship which was chartered by the company. Lawless said after the decision was made, "I consider it a great victory that the court has struck down the reparation demand from Shell, which I think was absolutely ludicrous."
The New Zealand-born actress said she didn't regret taking part in the protest. "We are proud to have taken part in our attempt to stop Shell's reckless plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic," she told reporters outside the court. "Since we occupied the Noble Discoverer, it has become evident to everyone watching, from the millions who have signed Greenpeace petitions, to the US government... that it can never be safe to drill in the Arctic."
In late February 2012, Lawless and the other six protesters were arrested during their action boarding an oil-drilling ship, the Noble Discoverer, in New Zealand. They climbed up to the drilling tower to protest oil exploration in the Arctic. They spent four days up the 174-foot tower, camping and blogging about the event. The action briefly prevented the ship from voyaging to Arctic.
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage