Lucy Lawless Fined and Sentenced to Community Service for Oil Protest
Lucy Lawless was sentenced Thursday, February 7, in the New Plymouth District Court for her oil-protest action in Taranaki. The "Xena: Warrior Princess" actress along with six other Greenpeace environmental activists were sentenced to 120 hours of community work and each of them was fined NZ$651, or US$547, to be paid to Port Taranaki after pleading guilty for trespassing.
However, they managed to avoid paying NZ$600,000 to Shell's Todd Oil Services in reparations for the ship which was chartered by the company. Lawless said after the decision was made, "I consider it a great victory that the court has struck down the reparation demand from Shell, which I think was absolutely ludicrous."
The New Zealand-born actress said she didn't regret taking part in the protest. "We are proud to have taken part in our attempt to stop Shell's reckless plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic," she told reporters outside the court. "Since we occupied the Noble Discoverer, it has become evident to everyone watching, from the millions who have signed Greenpeace petitions, to the US government... that it can never be safe to drill in the Arctic."
In late February 2012, Lawless and the other six protesters were arrested during their action boarding an oil-drilling ship, the Noble Discoverer, in New Zealand. They climbed up to the drilling tower to protest oil exploration in the Arctic. They spent four days up the 174-foot tower, camping and blogging about the event. The action briefly prevented the ship from voyaging to Arctic.
- Angelina Jolie Worries Brad Pitt Will Leave Her for Marion Cotillard
- Kanye West Kicks Off 'Saint Pablo Tour' and It Has Flying Stage. How Fans React?
- 'Frustrated' Shawn Mendes Slams Billboard for Misquoting Comments About His Fans
- Sibling Rivalry What? Khloe Kardashian Calls Kim Her 'Body Motivation'
- Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. Officially Appeal 'Blurred Lines' Copyright Verdict
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Bra During Casual Stroll While Kylie Flaunts Major Cleavage
- Demi Moore Joins Cast of R-Rated Comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are in No Rush to Walk Down the Aisle