'Smash' Season 2 Premiere Ratings Take Big Plunge
"Smash" takes a deep ratings dive in its return. The two-hour premiere of the second season on Tuesday, February 5 only drew 4.5 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the adults 18-49 demo.
It was down 71% from the first season opener, which landed the post-Super Bowl spot. While it would be unfair to compare the season 2 premiere to the 2012 debut boosted by the NFL game, the recent outing also showed a significant 40% drop from the first season finale.
This outcome was definitely unexpected considering the extensive promotion that NBC gave to the show. Moreover, the Katharine McPhee-starring series has an A-list infusion to the cast with Jennifer Hudson guest starring since the first episode.
On the same night, "Smash" was challenged by ABC's "The Bachelor" which aired on a special slot. The latest episode of the dating show drew 7.8 million viewers and a 2.6 rating in the coveted demo.
Winning the night, however, was CBS with "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" (21.5 million) at 8 P.M., followed by "NCIS: Los Angeles" (16.6 million) and "Vegas" (10.2 million).
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival