'Star Wars' Standalone Films Officially in the Works at Disney
Swirling speculations about potential "Star Wars" standalone films become a reality after all. Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed that it's indeed developing movies tied to the famous space saga series but would not be related to the upcoming trilogy to be directed by J.J. Abrams.
Announcing the exciting news was Disney chief Bob Iger during an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, February 5. "We are working on a few standalone films," said Iger. "[Lawrence] Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters."
Iger noted that the spinoff projects would run alongside the planned "Star Wars Episode 7", "8" and "9". The plan was to release the trilogy for six years starting from 2015, with a new film released in cinemas in every three years. The standalone movies, meanwhile, would be unleashed in between the trilogy.
"We plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015," the chief said. "But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too." In 2015, Disney would also release other massive films, "The Avengers 2" and "Ant-Man", in collaboration with Marvel.
As for the details of the standalone pics, Iger declined to give away too much, but said, "When we were exploring very seriously with George [Lucas], the idea of producing a few standalone films that were not part of the overall saga came up." He stated, "Those possibilities are becoming more real."
Just yesterday, words ran rampant that the untitled stand-alone Star Wars Film had already found its central character. The rumor was first sparked by Ain't It Cool News, which stated that the film would focus on Yoda. It was, however, unclear whether Yoda will appear young or old, or via CGI or puppet.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences