'Star Wars' Standalone Films Officially in the Works at Disney
Swirling speculations about potential "Star Wars" standalone films become a reality after all. Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed that it's indeed developing movies tied to the famous space saga series but would not be related to the upcoming trilogy to be directed by J.J. Abrams.
Announcing the exciting news was Disney chief Bob Iger during an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, February 5. "We are working on a few standalone films," said Iger. "[Lawrence] Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters."
Iger noted that the spinoff projects would run alongside the planned "Star Wars Episode 7", "8" and "9". The plan was to release the trilogy for six years starting from 2015, with a new film released in cinemas in every three years. The standalone movies, meanwhile, would be unleashed in between the trilogy.
"We plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015," the chief said. "But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too." In 2015, Disney would also release other massive films, "The Avengers 2" and "Ant-Man", in collaboration with Marvel.
As for the details of the standalone pics, Iger declined to give away too much, but said, "When we were exploring very seriously with George [Lucas], the idea of producing a few standalone films that were not part of the overall saga came up." He stated, "Those possibilities are becoming more real."
Just yesterday, words ran rampant that the untitled stand-alone Star Wars Film had already found its central character. The rumor was first sparked by Ain't It Cool News, which stated that the film would focus on Yoda. It was, however, unclear whether Yoda will appear young or old, or via CGI or puppet.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- Lindsay Lohan Spotted Drinking, Smoking and Showing Tiny Baby Bump During Vacation
- 'DWTS' Alum Hayes Grier's Involved in Car Crash, Brother Asks for Prayer as He's 'Pretty Busted Up'
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' Is Looking to Add This A-Lister
- Selena Gomez Is Gearing Up for New Album
- Halsey Thanks Fans for Their Support After Sharing Tragic Miscarriage Story
- Bristol Palin's Husband Dakota Meyer Slammed for Placing Gun Near Baby. See the Scary Pic
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa