'Star Wars' Standalone Films Officially in the Works at Disney
Swirling speculations about potential "Star Wars" standalone films become a reality after all. Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed that it's indeed developing movies tied to the famous space saga series but would not be related to the upcoming trilogy to be directed by J.J. Abrams.
Announcing the exciting news was Disney chief Bob Iger during an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, February 5. "We are working on a few standalone films," said Iger. "[Lawrence] Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters."
Iger noted that the spinoff projects would run alongside the planned "Star Wars Episode 7", "8" and "9". The plan was to release the trilogy for six years starting from 2015, with a new film released in cinemas in every three years. The standalone movies, meanwhile, would be unleashed in between the trilogy.
"We plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015," the chief said. "But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too." In 2015, Disney would also release other massive films, "The Avengers 2" and "Ant-Man", in collaboration with Marvel.
As for the details of the standalone pics, Iger declined to give away too much, but said, "When we were exploring very seriously with George [Lucas], the idea of producing a few standalone films that were not part of the overall saga came up." He stated, "Those possibilities are becoming more real."
Just yesterday, words ran rampant that the untitled stand-alone Star Wars Film had already found its central character. The rumor was first sparked by Ain't It Cool News, which stated that the film would focus on Yoda. It was, however, unclear whether Yoda will appear young or old, or via CGI or puppet.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media