'Star Wars' Standalone Films Officially in the Works at Disney
Swirling speculations about potential "Star Wars" standalone films become a reality after all. Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed that it's indeed developing movies tied to the famous space saga series but would not be related to the upcoming trilogy to be directed by J.J. Abrams.
Announcing the exciting news was Disney chief Bob Iger during an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, February 5. "We are working on a few standalone films," said Iger. "[Lawrence] Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters."
Iger noted that the spinoff projects would run alongside the planned "Star Wars Episode 7", "8" and "9". The plan was to release the trilogy for six years starting from 2015, with a new film released in cinemas in every three years. The standalone movies, meanwhile, would be unleashed in between the trilogy.
"We plan to make 'Star Wars' 7, 8 and 9 over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015," the chief said. "But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too." In 2015, Disney would also release other massive films, "The Avengers 2" and "Ant-Man", in collaboration with Marvel.
As for the details of the standalone pics, Iger declined to give away too much, but said, "When we were exploring very seriously with George [Lucas], the idea of producing a few standalone films that were not part of the overall saga came up." He stated, "Those possibilities are becoming more real."
Just yesterday, words ran rampant that the untitled stand-alone Star Wars Film had already found its central character. The rumor was first sparked by Ain't It Cool News, which stated that the film would focus on Yoda. It was, however, unclear whether Yoda will appear young or old, or via CGI or puppet.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?