John Travolta Denied Arbitration for Cruise Ship Employee Lawsuit
In a 31-page ruling issued last Friday, February 1, a California federal court judge denied actor John Travolta's appeal for the lawsuit filed against him by a cruise ship attendant to be litigated in secret. Judge Stephen Wilson ruled no arbitration for Travolta, slamming his lawyer Marty Singer's unusual arguments about why the case should be tried in private.
The "Saturday Night Fever" star is facing assault and battery and infliction of emotional distress charges since the lawsuit was filed against him by Fabian Zanzi, a Royal Caribbean cruise liner steward, in June 2012. Zanzi claims the actor allegedly disrobed, exposed his penis and then forcibly embraced Zanzi after he obliged to Travolta's request for a neck massage.
Travolta has since denied the allegations, and through his attorney, has threatened to counter-file malicious prosecution charges against Zanzi. After the case was filed in court, he and his lawyer argued that as part of his legal rights as a passenger aboard the cruise which he has entitled himself to following the purchase of the ticket, he has entered into an agreement between the cruise operator, and therefore also with Zanzi as its employee, to settle all disputes in arbitration.
In deciding the arbitration plea, Judge Wilson, despite acknowledging that the cruise operator and Travolta had a valid contract between them, said there's no evidence that the plaintiff (Zanzi), being a non-signatory to the agreement, can be compelled to agree to the more speedy and private arbitration.
- Lionel Messi Goes Platinum Blonde and Internet Just Can't Handle It
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?