'Skyfall' Named the Film of the Year at 2013 British Film Awards
"Skyfall" has been named the Film of the Year by the 2013 British Film Awards. The latest James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig won the coveted gong during the awards ceremony that took place at the London Film Museum in South Bank on Monday evening, February 4.
Picking up the top prize from presenter Hayley Atwell were producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson. The Sam Mendes-helmed actioner was also praised by Sarah Sands, editor of the Evening Standard.
She said, "The London Evening Standard British Film Awards celebrate a sensational year for British film. Thanks in part of the extraordinary success of Skyfall - a truly big British movie, delivered with a panache Hollywood could envy - 2012 also highlighted the creativity, vision and talent of a new generation of British filmmakers, actors and actresses."
Taking home the Best Actor award was Toby Jones thanks to his performance in "Berberian Sound Studio". He even beat out strong rivals as Daniel Day-Lewis ("Lincoln") and Eddie Redmayne ("Les Miserables"). Andrea Riseborough, meanwhile, was named the Best Actress for her performance as an IRA bomber in "Shadow Dancer".
As for the Best Screenplay award, Malcolm Campbell bagged the prize for his work in "What Richard Did". The ceremony also honored Sacha Baron Cohen with the Editor's Award for the actor's stint in making an event of every one in his films.
The 40th Evening Standard British Film Awards was supported by Chopard and Moet & Chandon. The event was held in association with the London Film Museum.
The 2013 Evening Standard British Film Awards Winners:
- FILM OF THE YEAR: "Skyfall"
- BEST ACTOR: Toby Jones - "Berberian Sound Studio"
- BEST ACTRESS: Andrea Riseborough - "Shadow Dancer"
- BEST SCREENPLAY: Malcolm Campbell - "What Richard Did"
- LONDON FILM MUSEUM AWARD FOR TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT: Jacqueline Durran (Costume design), Sarah Greenwood (Production design), Seamus McGarvey (Cinematography) jointly for "Anna Karenina"
- PETER SELLERS AWARD FOR COMEDY: "Sightseers"
- MOST PROMISING NEWCOMER: Sally El Hosaini - "My Brother the Devil"
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: "The Imposter"
- EDITOR'S AWARD: Sacha Baron Cohen for making every film an event
- Ja Rule Apologizes for Disastrous Fyre Festival, Insists 'It Was Not a Scam'
- 'Roseanne' Revival in the Works With Original Main Cast
- Aaron Rodgers Spotted on Date With 'Baywatch' Star Kelly Rohrbach After Olivia Munn Split
- Gwen Stefani Hospitalized Due to Ruptured Ear Drum
- Watch Music Video for Justin Bieber and DJ Khaled's New Collab 'I'm the One'
- Khloe Kardashian Hits Back at Hater Over Cuddly Pic With Scott Disick
- Angelina Jolie Throws Divorce Party
- 'Rob and Chyna' Filming Halted Because of Kris Jenner