The Troggs' Vocalist Reg Presley Dies at 71 After Battling Cancer
Reg Presley of rock and roll band The Troggs has passed away at 71 years old. The singer-songwriter died at his hometown of Hampshire in England on Monday, February 4, his daughter Karen reportedly tells World Entertainment News Network (WENN). "He passed away peacefully at home and myself, my brother and our mother were with him. We're absolutely heartbroken," Karen says.
Presley's friend music publicist Keith Altham confirms the sad news with a message on his Facebook page. He says his "dear old pal" died after "a succession of recent strokes and a losing battle with cancer".
"He was one very real person in a sometimes very unreal world," Altham additionally writes. "Our thoughts are with his wife Brenda and the family and those legion of fans who loved his music and his band. I will miss him hugely."
Presley, who was the voice behind 1960s hit songs like "Wild Thing" and "Love Is All Around", announced in January 2012 that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer after falling ill during a performance in Germany. "As you all know I was taken ill whilst doing a gig in Germany in December. During my stay in hospital tests showed that in fact I have lung cancer," he posted on his band's website.
"I am receiving chemotherapy treatment and at the moment not feeling too bad," he added, before announcing his retirement, "However I've had to call time on The Troggs and retire. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the cards and calls and for your love, loyalty and support over the years."
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby