Johnny Depp to Go Gangster as Whitey Bulger in 'Black Mass'
After playing an Indian man in "The Lone Ranger", Johnny Depp will appear as a mob boss in his next film. The 49-year-old actor has been tapped to star as notorious Boston crime lord Whitey Bulger in a forthcoming movie called "Black Mass".
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Depp's new gangster thriller movie will be directed by Barry Levinson. He is expected to kick off filming this May, leaving a question to the fate of Depp's other project "Transcendence", which was originally set as his next movie.
"Black Mass" will be based on "Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob" written by Boston Globe journalists Dick Lehr and Herland O'Neil. Mark Mallouk pens the updated adaptation of the book after Bulger was captured in June 2011.
Bulger is the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston. He became an FBI informant in taking down a Mafia family who invaded his turf. However, after the Feds closed in on their targets, they double crossed Bulger and eventually prosecuted him along with his partner in crime and the FBI agent who worked with him.
Developed by Cross Creek and Exclusive Media, the movie project will be introduced to foreign buyers during the European Film Market in Berlin this week. Universal Pictures owns the distribution right of the project in North America.
Apart from this project and "Transcendence", Depp is expected to return as Jack Sparrow in the still untitled "Pirates of the Caribbean 5". This July 3, he will appear as Indian Tonto in Gore Verbinski's "Lone Ranger".
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3
- Louis Tomlinson and Bebe Rexha Announce New Collab 'Back to You'
- Meek Mill and His Crew Caught Jumping and Attacking Nicki Minaj's Ex Safaree
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy