Lil Wayne Doesn't Watch Nicki Minaj on 'American Idol' Because It's Not His Type of Show
Lil Wayne trusted Nicki Minaj's judgment when she said "American Idol" was not his type of show due to its drama. That's why the Young Money rap mogul didn't watch the singing competition even though his former protege was on it as part of the judging panel.
"When I talk to her she's always tells me, 'You don't wanna watch that, you're not going to be into it,' " he told the Associated Press. "She knows me. ... It's kind of like a catfight where they be going back and forth type of thing, I'm not into all that," he referred to her feud with fellow judge Mariah Carey.
Weezy talked about it while being interviewed in New Orleans ahead of Super Bowl XLVII on February 3 at the Superdome. Although he was not a fan of the singing contest, he appreciated the talents on the show as he heard they were "pretty good."
Minaj herself previously said that "Idol" was not the right place for aspiring rappers to kick-start their careers. "I definitely don't think a rapper should be in this competition. Rap and hip-hop is completely different from 'American Idol.' I started off in the streets, selling mixtapes out of my car. It's a different situation," she said.
"This is definitely not a rap competition, and when I got involved with ['Idol'], I specifically said I hope they didnít try to do that because I was on the show," she said. "America loves that it's an honest singing competition and Iím not here to change that, Iím here to judge."
In related news, Weezy was rumored chopping off his signature hair. The rumors emerged after he was pictured sporting what looked like a shorter hairdo while hanging out at Big Boi's birthday party recently.
The rumors were quickly debunked by fellow rapper Mack Maine. "Let's end the speculation....Lil bro didn't cut his hair...but he is rocking that Saints Super Bowl," he tweeted along with an Instagram picture of Weezy still rocks his long deadlocks.
More Lil Wayne News
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!