NAACP Image Awards 2013: 'Red Tails' and 'Django Unchained' Are Big Winners in Movie
Winners in movie categories at the 2013 NAACP Image Awards were announced on Friday, February 1. Taking home the top prize of best motion picture was Anthony Hemingway's Tuskegee drama "Red Tails". Producer George Lucas was on hand to pick up the award and he jokingly exclaimed, "Look, I beat Quentin Tarantino!"
Claiming the most trophies that night was "Django Unchained", which successfully brought Samuel L. Jackson and Kerry Washington in winning the best supporting actor and supporting actress prizes respectively.
"This award does not belong to me," Washington tore up while accepting her award. "It belongs to our ancestors. We shot this film on a slave plantation in the South. They were with us every step of the way." She then praised Tarantino and thanked him "for telling this story no matter what anyone says."
Apart from the acting award, Washington took home two other trophies during the event. One was President's Award for her public service and the other one was for best actress in TV drama series thanks to ABC's "Scandal".
Back to movie winners, the best actor and actress awards respectively were presented to "Flight" leading man Denzel Washington and "Won't Back Down" female lead Viola Davis. "Beasts of the Southern Wild", meanwhile, bagged the best indie movie award.
Held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, the NAACP Image Awards was hosted by Steve Harvey and aired live on the East Coast on NBC. Harvey, in his opening, said that the awards show was held on the first day of Black History Month and noted that this year marks the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
Apart from movie winners, the show handed out its awards in TV and music categories. "Scandal" and "The Game" were among the TV winners, while Usher and Alicia Keys were among the music victors. Jamie Foxx, meanwhile, was named the Entertainer of the Year.
2013 NAACP Image Awards Winners in Movie:
- Motion Picture: "Red Tails"
- Actor in a Motion Picture: Denzel Washington - "Flight"
- Actress in a Motion Picture: Viola Davis - "Won't Back Down"
- Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Samuel L. Jackson - "Django Unchained"
- Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Kerry Washington - "Django Unchained"
- Independent Motion Picture: "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- International Motion Picture: "The Intouchables"
- Documentary (Theatrical or Television): "On the Shoulders of Giants - The Story of the Greatest Team You've Never Heard Of"
- 'Homeland' Finds Its Female President in 'House of Cards' Star
- Lindsay Lohan's Father Confirms She Told Him She's Pregnant
- Beyonce and 4-Year-Old Blue Ivy Play Twinsie in Cute Pictures
- Shonda Rhimes Denies 'GMA' Report That 'Scandal' Is Ending With Season 6
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton