'Doctor Who' TV Movie in the Works to Celebrate 50th Anniversary
As a part of "Doctor Who" 50th anniversary celebrations, BBC America is teaming up with BBC Cymru to co-produce a TV movie based on the cult sci-fi series. Titled "An Adventure in Space and Time", the 90-minute drama will chronicle the genesis of "Doctor Who" TV series and the Time Lord's maiden voyage in 1963.
David Bradley, who is widely known for his role as Argus Filch in the "Harry Potter" film series, is cast as William Hartnell, the first Doctor depicter. "I'm absolutely thrilled," the British actor says of his casting.
"I first heard about this role from Mark [Gatiss] while watching the Diamond Jubilee flotilla from the roof of the National Theatre," he goes on recalling. "When he asked if I would be interested, I almost bit his hand off!"
The 70-year-old thesp further gushes, "Mark has written such a wonderful script not only about the birth of a cultural phenomenon, but a moment in television's history. William Hartnell was one of the finest character actors of our time and as a fan I want to make sure that I do him justice."
Brian Cox will star as former BBC Head of Drama, Sydney Newman, who is credited with creating "Doctor Who". Also joining the cast ensemble are Jessica Raine and Sacha Dawan who will portray producer Verity Lambert and director Waris Hussien respectively.
Terry McDonough will direct the TV movie, while Mark Gatiss will provide the script. The show will premiere later this year on BBC America in the U.S. and on BBC 2 in the U.K.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked