'How I Met Your Mother' to Reveal the Titular Mother in Ninth and Final Season
"How I Met Your Mother" will return for its final season. CBS officially announces that it has renewed the long-running sitcom for a ninth season, which will also be the last for the hit comedy series.
"Through eight years, 'How I Met Your Mother' has mastered the art of leading-edge comedy, emotional water-cooler moments and pop culture catchphrases," CBS president Nina Tassler says in a statement. "We are excited for Carter, Craig, Pam Fryman and this amazing cast to tell the final chapter and reveal television's most mysterious mother to some of TV's most passionate fans."
All series regulars, Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan, as well as creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas will return for the last chapter. "We're thrilled to have the entire and incredibly talented How I Met Your Mother cast back for one final season to bring the series to a proper close," Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen of 20th Century Fox Television, gush.
They add, "Carter Bays and Craig Thomas are masterful and hilarious storytellers, and we have no doubt that they will guide one of the greatest comedies of the last decade to a gratifying conclusion when they finally reveal the identity of the Mother."
Before the renewal is confirmed, Smulders hinted that the ninth season was definitely happening. "It's a tricky thing. There's a lot of people involved in a decision like that. But luckily everybody made the same one and came on board," she told E! Online.
The Robin depicter went on sharing, "I sort of thought it was going to happen and then around the holidays when it started feeling like, 'Oh, it might not [happen],' it made me really sad. Because it's the end of an era and 'How I Met Your Mother' has become like a second home to me. So it'll be nice starting season nine knowing this is it. Soak it in. Really be grateful and enjoy this last year."
- Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts Are Separating After 11 Years Together
- James Corden, Rose Byrne, Daisy Ridley Tapped for Peter Rabbit Movie
- Tom Hanks Crashes Wedding Photo Shoot at Central Park
- Lil Wayne Officiated Same-Sex Wedding in Prison, Found Out Drake Slept With His Girlfriend
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?